Common Sights, Sounds and Oddities of Manila & the Philippines

Manila, Philippines

Common Sights, Sounds and Oddities of Manila & the Philippines Reviews

internetdata internet…
The Manila SkyLine from Makati City Shangri-la hotel Apr 18, 2008
I stay at the Shang most of the time because they know me and I love the service.. It is located in down town Makati City.. The skyline from the Penthouse is breath taking... Manila is what it is - a 3rd world country with 80 million people spanning across hundreds of islands. My concern is growing with the intense amount of muslim radical population growing in the southern islands and coming up towards manila from Malaysia. I just went to Cebu to dive and was very much scared for my life on more then one occasion. REMEMBER this is a very poor country and a lot of crime including kidnapping. Manila / Makati I feel are safe if you are alone just stay in the hotels at night.
Makati City, Manila from the Shang…
TravellinChic says:
Hi Jeremy,

This is funny. You sound like my Italian classmate. He only stayed in Makati Shangrila and Shangrila Mactan (Cebu) for which his Filipino broker is to blame for scaring him. Metro Manila is not the safest place but it's not bec of the insurgents but more on the petty crimes such as pickpocketing, which is similar if not worst in Rome or Madrid. :P

I am very paranoid girl in terms of safety and that's bec Filipino-Chinese people like me are more prone to kidnapping than any other foreign ethnicity as we are known to just pay up with full cooperation without a lot of fuss and not calling the police. But I have been traveling around a lot and I could tell you that the islands (outside Metro Manila) are much much more safer than Manila, makati and Cebu. That's bec petty crimes are rare in comparison. You are missing out a lot by limiting yourself unnecessarily. Philippines is a huge archipelago and despite the fact that there are insurgents in the remote southernmost part of Philippines, it's very far to reach you in the tourist attractions such as El Nido and Amanpulo which I'm sure you will love to do diving. You should come back and see for yourself :)
Posted on: Dec 15, 2011
jaeWALK says:
hey only kidnap you if you go into their territory... other than that, its safe. the muslims who settle in manila... well they only sell pirated DVDs.

youll miss out on the great manila nightlife if you just stay in your hotel at night.
Posted on: Jul 25, 2008
aacalizo says:
You wrote:

"Manila is what it is - a 3rd world country with 80 million people spanning across hundreds of islands"

Maybe you mean "the Philippines is what it is...."?
Posted on: Jul 21, 2008