Commitment Tattoo studio

CommitmentTattoos.com - (727) 498-8780

Commitment Tattoo studio Saint Petersburg Reviews

hanleyscot hanleysc…
Tattoo You (Pun Intended) Jul 27, 2014
I never thought of myself as the type of person who would write a review. Of course, I also never thought I would join a social media website. So, it stands to reason that I definitely never thought I would be writing a review on a social media website. But as fate would have it, I did join this website a few months ago. In doing so, though, I noticed that St. Petersburg, FL is sadly under-represented on TB and mostly overshadowed by the likes of Orlando and Miami. With all that said, naturally I would select a tattoo parlor as my first ever review. Cuz that's how I roll. Rebel without a clue.

So about two years ago I was looking for a new tattoo parlor to go to. I had previously been driving down to Sarasota, which is about an hour and a half away from me. The guy that had done 99% of my existing ink was really great but I was just tired of driving that far. And it didn't seem unrealistic to me that there might actually be someone in St. Petersburg who could do equally as good of a job.

I'm a huge fan of music. All of my tattoos are related to bands that I like…The Ramones, Social Distortion, etc. My very first tattoo some 20 years ago was The Rolling Stones' lips and tongue logo. This was so long ago that back then tattoo artists didn't use laptops to pull up graphics online. You selected what you wanted off the wall display in the shop. Yes, I am really that old. I can even remember a time before cell phones. I even know what an 8 track tape is. But, I digress. So that first tattoo was really small and seemed like it needed some new life put into it. I came up with the idea of getting the entire arm done using photos/artwork from Stones' album covers.

I found a place online called NeoSoul Tattoos. I was immediately impressed with the work by the owner, Aaron Morgan. I knew right away that this was the place I was getting my next tattoo. I went to the store soon after but instead of Aaron I spoke with another artist who worked for Aaron. He seemed like a nice guy and seemed really interested in being involved with my idea.

Unfortunately the next day, my house became the money pit. Everything that could possibly go wrong, went wrong. All at the same time. I suddenly did not have the disposable income to begin work on a sleeve tattoo.

Skip to many months later…I returned to that shop. The artist I had originally met was no longer working there. This time I actually spoke with Aaron and he also was very excited about the idea of this project. I told him my idea and said, "Hey, I want this to be fun for you, too. I want it to be a collaboration. I don't want you to just trace it on my arm and then fill in the blanks." To be honest, I had every expectation that he would just look at me and tell me there was no way it was going to happen. Instead he studied the album covers and said yeah…let's do it.

In the interest of making a long story short (I know…too late), fast forward almost another year and a half, I'm finally done. In that time, Aaron closed his shop and moved to Commitment Tattoo. Also in that time we've become pretty good friends. He's a great guy and wildly creative and imaginative. As far as I'm concerned, the work speaks for itself. You can see the photos and judge for yourself.

This shop is owned by a guy named Bob. He's also very talented. The place is clean and they know what they are doing.

Aaron is seriously meticulous. But his OCD pays off in the end. The sleeve is so much better than I could have ever imagined it being. And like I said, he's insanely creative. One of my favorite parts is how he combined two album covers together ("Sticky Fingers" and "Tattoo You").

I never really kept track of actual hours worked or how much it cost. Each session was usually every 3 - 4 weeks and usually ranging from 3-6 hours. There were a couple of times when i had to stop for a couple of months here and there due to vacation or home repair expenses. But I'm guessing there were at least 10 sessions. His normal price is $100 an hour but I'm sure like most good tattoo artists, I tipped him well and it reflected in what he actually charged me instead of the normal hourly rate.

I believe Aaron works by appointment only. I have seen Bob take care of walk-ins if he isn't already with a client.

So, again, if you happen to be in St, Petersburg and need some ink done, Commitment Tattoo is definitely the place I recommend!
Voodoo Lounge
Voodoo Lounge
Steel Wheels
Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review!:D
Posted on: Jul 29, 2014
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review!! :)
Posted on: Jul 29, 2014
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured! Impressive work.
Posted on: Jul 28, 2014