Commander's Palace

Commander's Palace - another view of the main dining room

Commander's Palace New Orleans Reviews

mainhart mainhart
Relatively Affordable Elegance May 14, 2015
The Commander's Palace Restaurant was featured on some cable food show that my travel companion saw and really wanted to try, her treat. She said the reviews were outstanding and there was a dress code. So we got all cleaned up, headed out to the Garden District by streetcar and went to a late dinner. As they were running late with our reservation we were given a quick tour of the kitchen, which really was out of a television show. Chefs and sioux chefs dressed in white with perfect hats and not a stain on them working like a well-oiled machine creating these magnificent dishes. The smell was incredible. We were led to a waiting bar with a full view of the kitchen action. After a couple of tasty cocktails we were brought to our table in a very elegant but not ostentatious dining room. The menu was a modern take on traditional dishes. I had as an appetizer a gnocchi and crawfish dish which had a bit of a kick, and was delicious. My main course was a local white fish crusted with pecans and served in a creamy corn and crawfish sauce. In one bite I was in Heaven. The wines were paired nicely. The price of this whole meal, while expensive, was nothing compared to a similar experience in New York. If you want to really treat yourself in New Orleans without having to take out a second mortgage, I highly recommend this restauarnt.
LeighBR LeighBR
Worth the Splurge and Your Time Jul 13, 2008
Traditional New Orleans cuisine, this restaurant is practically an institution in New Orleans. Established in or around 1880, this is a restaurant owned by the Brennan family, specifically Ella Brennan and her children. If you come to New Orleans and have a little extra to spend on a very nice dinner, in my opinion, Commander's Palace is the place to spend it. While the actual entrees and dishes are reasonably priced, the restaurant's extensive wine list can ratchet up the cost. Upscale, great atmosphere with many different seating areas. Upstairs and the Patio areas are the most romantic, also a bit quieter. Reservations are recommended and if a certain area is preferred, request it specifically. The waitstaff is excellent. Evenings when it isn't quite as busy are wonderful, but highly unusual. The menu changes seasonally, but some offerings are constant such as their famous turtle soup. A favourite of mine is the shrimp and grits. The bread pudding souffle with its white chocolate whiskey sauce is unlike any other you'll ever have the pleasure of trying. A perfect place to celebrate anything worth celebrating. Recommend this restaurant highly! I have dined and had private parties here many times and haven't had a bad experience, nor have my guests.
main dining room
window to the foyer/entrance
another view of the main dining ro…

Check New Orleans Hotel Deals