Columbia River Gorge, Oregon

Columbia River Gorge, United States

Columbia River Gorge, Oregon Reviews

patzi3 patzi3
breathtaking views of the Columbia river, wonderful for a day trip from Portalnd / Hillsboro Feb 13, 2012
I've been on this day trip twice - once as just a day trip, and once as a part of a 2-week road trip to Glacier National Park. Both times I've enjoyed the beautiful views on the way, the endless waterfalls, and was impressed with the mighty Columbia river. The most famous and touristy waterfall is Multnomah, and it is indeed quite impressive, but there are so may others and all are beautiful. The viewpoints on the way that are a must are Vista House and Women's Forum. If you keep going and make it to Hood River, and you're in the right season for it - don't miss going into a lavender farm - it's so nice with Mount Hood in the background!
Koder Koder
My favorite destination in the Pacific Northwest Jul 22, 2008
Drive east from downtown Portland on I84 and you'll experience one of the most scenic drives of your life as you make your way through the Columbia River Gorge. Over the years I've spent many, many days both driving through the Gorge as well as hiking its trails, which are located just off I84. For those that can swing an hour each direction make the drive out to Hood River to enjoy one of the best outdoor towns in America. I'm actually in the process of relocating to Portland I fully intent on spending many more days of hiking and watching the gorgeous sunsets that only the Gorge can produce.

Columbia River Gorge is truly one of America's treasures and should you find yourself in the Portland area you must make your way east as its a breathtaking experience. The Gorge provides a number of viewpoint areas as well as a Scenic Drive which takes you through a number of beautiful small towns where you can take advantage of the numerous fruit stands during the summer months.

Trust me, just do it.

Hope this helps.

alyssa_ob says:
Funny, did you know your review was posted exactly 1 year to the day as X_Drives Columbia River Gorge review?
Posted on: Jul 22, 2008
runnofun runnofun
Wahclella Falls Hike Feb 09, 2008
The hike is across the street from the Bonneville Dam. It not that long or steep. I would think it's less then 10 mile round trip. Great views, not very popular and quick.
Wahclella Falls
X_Drive X_Drive
Jul 22, 2007
Just east of Portland in the Columbia River Gorge are some of the best waterfalls you will find in the United States. Multnomah Falls is the largest of nine falls within this short distance of less than thirteen miles. It falls 542 feet in its top section and then another 69 feet in its lower segment to be the second tallest year-round waterfall in the United States. Naturally, water flows are highest in the spring but all of these falls are year-round. Many of the falls are visible and accessed very easily while a few require hikes of up to nearly two miles. Latourell Falls, 249 feet plunge, can be accessed by car and short hike. Upper Latourell Falls, 75 to 100 feet plunge, .8 mile hike above Latourell Falls. Sheppards Dell Falls, upper 35-50 feet; lower 40-60 feet tiered car or hike. Bridal Veil Falls, upper 60-100 feet; lower 40-60 feet, tiered, accessed by car and hike. Wahkeena Falls, 242 feet tiered, accessed by car. Fairy Falls, 20-30 feet fan, 1.1 mile hiking trail. Triple Falls, 100-135 feet segmented, 1.7 mile trail hike. Horsetail Falls, 176 feet horsetail, accessed by car. If you like waterfalls, and really who doesn't, this is a great area to visit!
Multnomah Falls
Wahkeena Falls
Horsetail Falls

Related Travel Blogs About Columbia River Gorge, Oregon

Adjusting our plans
Today’s drive from the Columbia River Gorge south through Oregon was one I would have never planned out on a map.  I told my GPS where I wanted to end up, well actually well beyond where I…Columbia River Gorge south through Oregon was one I would have never planned out on a map.  I told…
Historic Columbia River Gorge Drive
We got up, checked out from Park Lane Suites, and drove around Nob Hill and Washington Park before we picked up Thomas at 9:45pm.  Little did we know that both Nob Hill and the Park were like a …Columbia River Gorge Highway.  Our first stop was Vista House.  It had a nice view of the city and the gorge
Visiting the East coast fam
I am born and raised in the Northwestern, parts of the US. I live in the Southwest parts currently. My father is from the eastcoast and I have been traveling the 4,000 miles to the northeast states s…Oregon and is also known for the Columbia River Gorge near, MT. Hood. Portland is known…

Compare Troutdale Hotel Rates (7.1km away)

Columbia River Gorge, Oregon Map