Piazza del Colosseo , Rome, Italy - 06 39 96 77 00

Colosseum Rome Reviews

bensonryan bensonry…
Essential Landmark of Rome Dec 02, 2015
The widely known Colosseum was constructed in the first century b.c. and was an ampitheater that hosted wild animal fights and bloody gladitorial bouts. My friends and I got to see two distinct levels of the "games" and from the view of the everyday spectator. Ther erosion of time and the harvesting of the building materials became the reason for its gradual destruction. It wasn't until the 18th century that it became preserved as a tourist destination.

The cost of admission is 12 Euro per person with an additional 5 euro to hire an English translation. We walked around marveling at it up close and personal. It is definitely an edifice to behold if all the traveler knew of the Colosseum from post cards and textbooks. It's kind of like comparing a post card version of the Grand Canyon and then visiting it in real life.

I firmly recommend this trip to the Colosseum and there really is quite a lot to see in its many layers from its aqueducts and the segregated seating between the senators and the commoners. Like other many famous tourist attractions, it bears the similar flaws that landmarks typically have. The traveler may get an occasional hassle from the scores vendors who wish to sell you selfie sticks and other trinkets. Other than that it the Colosseum is a must see.
Panoramic view of the interior.
vulindlela says:
Posted on: Dec 17, 2015
vances says:
I found buying an "advance" ticket saves a LOT of time --- you can avoid the lengthy lines and do it right over the internet! (do need to know specific day you'll be there)

Posted on: Dec 08, 2015
EmEm says:
Nice review, Ryan! It's really a must see in Rome!
Posted on: Dec 08, 2015
mikeym mikeym
First time in Rome, it's a must! Jan 25, 2015
First time in Rome, it's a must see. The area surrounding the Colosseum is crowded with tourists even on cold winter days like when I visited. You can get yourself a nice hot flat bread sandwich and drink from one of the food vendors while you wait in the enormous line. You could also purchase tickets online to avoid the queue but where's the fun in that?

Men dressed up like Gladiators for tourists to take pics with. I found myself bobbing and weaving around all the selfie extension sticks people were adorned with. Currently there is a lot of renovation outside the Colosseum, scaffolding is everywhere but it's not detering you from taking a great pic. Once you make your way inside you can just sense the history. You find yourself pondering the sheer magnitude of this place. What it must've been like to be a spectator or a gladiator. For most us, when we see this it brings us back to Russell Crow in "Gladiator." You marvel at the abilities of man during this time period. How they constructed such an amazing structure. It's hard to fathom it all. If you haven't been, you should definitely make a point in adding this to your itinerary!
mikeym says:
I think Rome is a crazy cool place to grab some food & wine at one of the many restaurants in one of the many piazzas and just people watch. I'm a big fan of walking rather than using public transit (I think you miss out on the city sometimes) so I'd say wander the streets, don't be afraid to turn down the alleys and experience the little things that make Rome what it is. Very safe and easy to navigate.
Any questions, don't hesitate to ask :)
Posted on: Feb 10, 2015
ssingh1989 says:
This is my next trip, going in April... any must sees aside from the obvious historical places you recommend??
Posted on: Feb 10, 2015
Vikram Vikram
If you thought the Colosseum was in ruins, wait till you hear its audio guide! May 17, 2014
The Colosseum - what can one say about this historic place other than, well one must visit it in their lifetime. It's after all, one of the cornerstones of the Empire and the must-visit spot of Rome (along with the Vatican). To sum it up, the Colosseum is an iconic symbol of Imperial Rome.

Built of concrete and stone,it was the largest amphitheatre of the Roman Empire, and is considered one of the greatest works of Roman architecture and engineering. It is the largest amphitheatre in the world even today. They say that it could hold between 50,000 and 80,000 spectators, and was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles such as mock sea battles, animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology.

So such an impressive resume, and I didn't exactly come out with a really big smile. SO WHAT DIDN'T GO RIGHT?

First things first, Tripadvisor Rome advised me to buy the tickets online to avoid waiting in the queues which is what we did. We bought the audio guide for the Colosseum but as part of the bundle, didn't buy it for the neighbouring Forums. In hindsight, I don't know which the bigger mistake was! We reached early, lots of tourist groups but we rushed to the counter to pick up our tickets. We had to deposit our passport for the audio guide.

And so the "audio tour" began - the problem here was that the guide wasn't arranged well enough and as a result, even one had to start in the clockwise direction, we started the other way around. As a result, we weren't just seeing the spots they were talking about. At one point, they'd talk about the trees behind us or the crucifix in front of us and we're like "huh?!". And the sun, the crowd, the heat.... I really didn't want to turn back and do it the "right" way.

So after doing the tour with the awfully confusing audio guide, we headed to the art exhibition by the sides. It was basically just sculptures. There wasn't proper explanation so it was hard to admire and appreciate it without knowing what it really was! Having said that, there was a really picture with what the Colosseum looked like back in the hey day which I thought was really amazing.

We spent a little over an hour and we were happy that our tour to Roma's most iconic spot was OVAH! I don't mean to sound like a web blanket and I would still encourage folks to visit this iconic place, but having said that, just be prepared for crowds and I'd rather suggest you download a podcast and study the Colosseum in advance than rely on that excuse of an audio guide to "educate" you about this. Next!
East side view
Entrance - you can see the crowds …
These are the cages where the anim…
Vikram says:
True Anupa
Posted on: Jun 25, 2014
anupa_rk says:
That's a shame. Audio guides can be so good if done well. And I think you'd need some sort of guide when you're visiting the ruins of a monument of such significance. Sad.
Posted on: Jun 25, 2014
Zagnut66 says:
I had issues with the audio guide as well and gave up on it. Probably there isn't much incentive to improve it either.
Posted on: Jun 23, 2014
Zagnut66 Zagnut66
Colosseum Mar 08, 2013
I arrived just before opening when the queue was short. The place fills up quickly, so be prepared for a crowd. I was hoping to see Russell Crowe fight some gladiators, but had to settle for throngs of Japanese school children taking photos. I didn't bother taking a tour, though in hindsight I regret not exploring some of the underground areas that are only accessible via a tour. There are areas with museum displays that are interesting, including an exhibit on the great fire during the reign of Nero.

The Colosseum was built by Vespasian with money he secured from the sack of Jerusalem in 70 CE. According to the museum exhibits, it was constructed on the site of Nero's private baths as a political statement to the people of Rome that Vespasian was one of them rather than a copy of the despised Nero. This is one of those iconic places that you just have to check out, even if it's just a really, really old stadium.
Before the tourist onrush
Entrance to the arena
Where are the gladiators?
Still standing after two millennia
aloneinthecrowd says:
This will definetely be on my list (Klaus will kill me if we'll miss it :p). I hope it won't be too crowded in November but we'll be early though ;)
Posted on: Apr 06, 2014
arianna88 says:
Good review, so it is better to go there in the morning before the the crowd coming :-)
JasperO JasperO
The Colosseum Apr 11, 2013
The Colosseum in Rome is one of the highlights of the city. You can reach the Colosseum easy, because it lies in the center of the city and there is a metro station close to this sightseeing.

When we were in Rome it was very busy with a lot of tourist. So we have to stand for some time in the row for a ticket. It is possible to buy a ticket in advance on the internet. Maybe when you don't have much time during your citytrip in Rome this will be a good option to see the Colosseum in a quick way and to avoid the long row.

Inside the Colosseum you will get a good impressive how it should have been during the Roman period.
Inside the Colosseum
christine4321 says:
I am hoping to go in September 2014 and as long as things go as planned I will definitely see it!
Posted on: Apr 29, 2013
spocklogic says:
The Colosseum has gates around it now and maybe a good thing as it used to smell of urine around there as people used it as a toilet I think. That was some years ago now and the gates here, though an eyesore, maybe improve the experience for visitors.
Posted on: Apr 27, 2013
hujera says:
I was in Rome in December 2009 (I reckon the year) and was quite lucky. Great weather (I've seen even oranges on trees - couldn't believe that) and no queues to Colosseum. Along with Forum Romanum combo ticket - lovely...
Posted on: Apr 18, 2013
Andy99 Andy99
The Timeless Colosseum Sep 28, 2012
The Colosseum. One of the icons of travel and of Western Civilization. What can one say about it that has not been said? Known as the Amphitheatrum Flavium when completed under Titus in 80. It was the largest stadium or theatre of its time, seating about 50,000 spectators. The gladiators fought here in spectacles sponsored by wealthy Romans. Gladiatorial combats continued to 435 and wild animal combats and chases until 523. The structure acquired the name Colosseum around the 8th century from the colossal statue of Nero that was once adjacent to it.

When we look at it today, it very much resembles our modern sports stadiums or arenas. In fact, the seating and ingress and egress system were very much like that of modern stadiums. (There were even rest rooms and water fountains for spectators.) Many of the entrance portals and even their section numbers are intact. It was built in four levels, with the upper classes having the best seating at the lower level. The Romans thought of it as a theatre. Indeed, the elliptical shape it is like two Greek theatres put together. A theatre in the round. The ground floor half columns are doric in style, those of the second floor are ionic and those of the third floor Corinthian. The attic is divided into panels by Corinthian columns, with a rectangular window every second panel.

Earthquakes have damaged the Colosseum many times in its history. The south side collapsed during earthquakes in the 13th century. The northwest walls remained relatively intact and were used as a fortress by the Frangipani family in the 11th and 12th centuries. The site was preserved and closed off because it was thought to have been a place where Christians were persecuted by the Romans. (Modern scholarship holds that while such persecution occurred at the Circus of Nero, the Colosseum was not used for that purpose.)

Of course, the Colosseum is a must-see for all travelers. I recommend going all around the outside to see the beautifully designed sides that are preserved as well as the collapsed sides that reveal its inner construction. Unfortunately, on the day of our visit the site staff was on strike. We were not able to go in, which I very much wanted to do to see the excavated backstage area that was under the wooden arena floor. Stage elevators, holding areas for the animals, and ready rooms for the gladiators can be seen.

Part of the Historic Centre of Rome UNESCO World Heritage site
The Colosseum.
The Colosseum. Collapsed south sec…
arianna88 says:
Nice pictures n description.. thanks for the review.. I will also see the collapsed section when i get there .. :-)
Zagnut66 says:
I didn't realize the lower seating was reserved for the wealthy. Rather like the most expensive seats in modern baseball stadiums being the ones behind home plate.
Posted on: Nov 26, 2012
tj1777 tj1777
The Flavian Amphitheatre - the greatest sporting stadium through all times Dec 26, 2011
65 BC Caesar organize gladiator games in honor of his father who died 20 years before

Fact about gladiators: “Gladiator fights used to be a part of the funeral ritual in rich Etruscan families and they could originally only be held in memory of influential deceased people (men). During the republican era gladiator games would only be held in memory of deceased people - though Caesar did change it a bit giving organizing gladiator fights so long after his father’s death. During the imperial age gladiator fights no longer had any connection with funeral rituals.”

So when you think about a sporting stadium which one is the greatest the world has ever seen? Some might go with one of the great football stadiums like Wembley, Anfield, Santiago Bernabéu, Camp Nou and Maracanã. Others might try different stadiums like Yankee Stadium or Lambeau Field. But they will all be wrong - none of them are the greatest sporting stadium ever. The greatest of them all are the ancient Flavian Amphitheater - the grandfather of all later sporting stadiums. It might be better known as the Colosseum - the main scene for gladiator and animal fights in the Roman Empire.

The Colosseum isn’t the biggest stadium of all times even during Roman times the Circus Maximus could hold about 4 times as many spectators - but with a capacity of 55.000 seating and 5.000 standing spectators it is a big stadium - even by modern standards. And during the operation of the Colosseum it probably had more spectators than any modern stadium. Even today it probably receives more people than any other stadium - considering more than 6 million tourists goes and have a look around the stadium every year. More tourists go to the Colosseum than any other ancient Roman ruin.

The construction of the Colosseum was started by Vespasian and finished by his son Titus who decided to have some opening games which lasted 100 days and killed 5.000 animals and lots of gladiators. These games were later topped by Trajan who held 117 days of games in which 10.000 animals and 9.000 gladiators participated.

Walking towards the Colosseum from the outside is probably more impressive than the Colosseum from the inside - hence a visit to inside of the giant stadium might almost feel like a disappointment compared to just watching from the outside. But if you do go in - like so many other people - you get a change to walk inside the same corridors like the resident of ancient Rome. You can have a look at the area where the gladiator fights actually took place but you won’t be able to actually walk around the stage area - you can only go on a restricted area from where you can look out at the stage area. There are some specialized tours which will take you down below or to the top floor of the Colosseum - I didn’t participate in any of those and I am not sure the extra fee is actually worth it - but it is an option if you are really keen.

The ticket to the Colosseum will also give you access to the Palatine Hill and the Foro Romano. But the Colosseum attracts many more visitors than the other two places - and there is almost permanently a long line in front of the ticket office at the Colosseum. So you are better off if you get your ticket from the ticket office at the Palatine Hill next door where there usually are no line.
The Flavian Amphitheater from the …
Inside of the Colosseum
The rows of the Colosseum
The stage area with some undergrou…
arianna88 says:
a very useful review for my trip plan to Rome.. thanks..
Vioweil says:
I love this place and therefore re-visite it every time I am in Rome:)
Posted on: Jan 31, 2012
maulder maulder
Interesting historical trip Oct 13, 2011
I expected this to be pretty dull, but actually it was pretty cool.

When we got inside it was amazing. It was cool to actually see something you have studied at school, and it was much larger than I imagined.

There are LOTS of tourist traps outside, and if you want to eat or buy refreshments stay away from the obvious places as they are double the price.

Also, because we booked in advance we were able to skip the hour long wait!
Rome 2011 with Rowan, Matthew, Hol…
Fitnessguru729 Fitnessg…
The Colosseum! Sep 20, 2011
The adventure in Rome continues on as I approached the one and only Colosseum. It was breathtaking walking up to the Colosseum due to the massive structure of this thing! This was my overall favorite part of Rome to see. I went with a buddy from my Hostel in Rome I was staying at. He was able to snap a shot of me in front of the Colosseum so I was very fortunate to have him with me. There are people selling art on the side of the walkway on to the Colosseum. Stop and take a look at some of this art. The art is very intriguing! I loved the Colosseum!
cei_2511 cei_2511
Adorable history May 08, 2011
Still exist with this old buildings in Rome.

Never expect that i could be so great and looks so strong.

Though it's only old buildings and most of them are destroyed by the times, i still can watch how great was it in the Roman Empire periods.

The craziest was, i have to queue for the ticket to get inside this building for almost more than 2 hours!!

My God, it's also not my expectation. Moreover, it was a very hot weather there, maybe it's about 38 degrees...*fiuhhhh*

But then i was satisfied... It's very great experience.
traceyirish traceyir…
Lovely... even in the rain! Jun 05, 2011
First and foremost... do not waste your money getting a guided tour here! You'll learn just as much (if not more) from your guide book, and the queues aren't that long to be honest.

We did get a tour which included the Roman forum (across the road) for about €20 (can't remember exactly).
LauraLizbeth LauraLiz…
Colosseum and old town Rome May 01, 2011
Well just a couple weeks ago I took a short visit to Rome. On the first day, naturally, we visited the Colosseum and Old town Rome which was fortunately a 5 min walk from where we was staying (although i would not recommend staying so close, as the prices are considerably higher)

Our first impression, much like you'd expect, was awe and facination at such and old and magnificant peice of architecture. However, going inside the place can involve hours of queing if you're not careful.

A few tips: arrive early morning (around 10) and queing is around half hour opposed to two hours. Alternativly, you can opt to go on a guided tour which allows you to skip the mainstream que but this obviously incurs extra costs.

Unfortunately, i cannot tell you the entry price as when we went we were lucky in the fact that it was 'culture week' and got in free.

If you choose not to take a tour you can rent audio tours on a little phone from the kiosk for 5 euro a person. This is what we did and found it helped alot in understanding and exploring the Colosseum which is so rich in history.

After this we took a walk around old town Rome which was equally incredible; ruin after ruin all equally as grande and intricately designed. I would advise leaving a couple hours to do this as there is so much to see.

If your in need of refreshment i.e. a delicious italian coffee and cake, there are a number of cafes around the many, many, piazzas (you'll find a piazza every 5 mins in Rome!)

La Citta Eterna... a must see for everyone.
Inside the Colosseum
Part of old town Rome
beautiful buildings in Rome...
Tony23uk Tony23uk
Very interesting - How to get the best deal! Mar 12, 2011
The Colosseum is great, fantastic place, huge towering walls, with so much history. Everyone knows this :) But there's a few things you should know about how to get the best deal.

The best thing to do here is to get a tour of the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. Outside the collosseum, there are a lot of people advertising this. But be warned, never hand over money until you have seen credentials and are with a group of other people who are going on the tour (other tourists, ask them, confirm the tour-guides identities). We had a great tour, about three hours of the Collosseum and the Roman Forum. The tour was in English and in Italian, so it took a while. It cost about 25 Euros i think, in Summer 2010.

Also, sometimes there are 'Gladiators' dressed up outside the Colloseum, getting tourists to take photos of them. But what they do is this: take your camera, take a photo of you, and then they hold on to your camera until you give them money (about 10 Euros, for a few photos!!). I refused to give them money, and i did get my camera back, but these are pretty big guys, and i can't be sure that they wouldn't abuse the trust of many tourists. So, just be careful. Remember, in Italy - there is NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH!!!

It's a great place to visit, well worth it - the history is just awesome, and i learnt a lot on the tour. I wouldn't reccommend standing in line to queue for a ticket though - just take the tour, then you avoid all the queues! :)
mkarinaa mkarinaa
Colosseum Jul 16, 2011
Not much you can really say about it, but it is something! Really is amazing. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like steps. The elevator was out so you had to climb those lovely steps. =) At the top level you got some pieces of monuments and a little history of them.

They got a floor recreation showing you how it used to be, because there is no original arena floor left. You are also not allowed to go downstairs to the slave quarters but you still can see them from the top.

Don't forget to stop by one of the balconies, you'll get a beautiful view of Rome.

I also recommend walking up the street a little and buying a ticket to the Palatine Hill. The line there is shorter (which beats standing in 1 and a half hour line for the Colosseum) plus its a 3 in 1 ticket, Colosseum, Palatine Hill and Foro Romano for 72 hours I believe. At the Palatine, you can cut the line if you have a Roma Pass. And once you get a ticket, you can cut the line at the Colosseum.

jdig0304 jdig0304
The Arena Jun 19, 2011
When in Rome, the Colosseum is a must see. The Colosseum refers to a nickname that came from the giant, ie colossal, statue of Emperor Nero that once stood next to the site of the Arena. Inside you will be able to see what remains of this impressive structure. Keep in mind that it was once decked out in marble and had a retractable roof to shade the audience. There is usually some kind of archaelogical or artistic display on the second floor by the elevator. The line to get in can vary but in the summer can be a very long wait. To avoid this line you can buy your entrance ticket to the Palatine, which is nearby in the direction of the Circus Maximus. It truly is a monument to the greatness that was and is Rome.
92leeds 92leeds
Miss the queues Jul 25, 2011
Whem going to the colosseum buy a ticket for the roman forum and the colosseum together and when you finish at the forum you can go straight into the coloseum and by doing this you will avoid the lenghty wait to buy ticket as the coloseum
Dave9876 Dave9876
Amazing May 14, 2011
Very cool. Make sure you get the audio guide though. Otherwise you are just walking around looking which is fine but to know the details makes the experience 10X better. When you are done check out the pub called Camden Town. Good people there. And remember that your ticket is good for the Forums too. Ciao
bobbyv85 bobbyv85
Colosseum Rome Mar 25, 2011
Did not like this place. Way too many tourist around and was pretty boring. Maybe its just not my thing. The main thing that killed it for me was the crowds of tourists; I'm the type to get away from that. I guess if you haven't been there yet you should go just to say you went.
Vipin Vipin
Stunning, iconic building Feb 21, 2010
Used for public spectacles and gladiator fights in ancient times, the Colosseum has to be one of Rome's most iconic monuments and most visited tourist sites.

Though the exterior is nicely preserved, the interior is slightly dilapidated and this would make it difficult to host proper events in there. The site during the daytime draws a large crowd, and it costs a few euros to visit the inside and guided tours are on offer as well in various languages. I highly recommend visiting it at night too; the colour of the building is nicely shown off in careful lighting, and the worst of the crowds have gone by now too.

If you are visiting Rome, you cannot leave the city without having taken a quick glimpse of this site at least.
HuBison HuBison
A must when you're in Rome Jun 10, 2010
I'm not big into tours, but it was worth signing up for the tour guides that hang around outside. You get a headset so that you can hear the tour guide talk even if you walk off to the side to read something. You have to be sure you get a headset tour, otherwise, it could be any group of people cliaming they offer tours.

Men dress up as "Roman gladiators" and walk around the Colosseum. They are great to take pictures with, but wil ask for money.

The idea of what happened in the Colosseum and the history behind it is amazing. You can easily walk to the Roman Forum from there is you are waering good shoes.
Displaying reviews 1 - 20 of 35