Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast

Check Colombo Hotel Deals

Colombo Haven Bed & Breakfast Reviews

drmcflurry drmcflur…
A Friendly B&B in Colombo Nov 24, 2012
I've been to this city a number of times in the past and this was my first B&B here. Finding the place will be a bit tricky if you're coming here on your own without the help of a local as the place is tucked behind an ice cream parlor (I always used that landmark whenever I used the auto rickshaw) through a dark alley. Dark because there is a new building being constructed beside it that blocked off most streetlights and the sky. Nothing to be concerned though because it is safe just use the torch on your phone to avoid any trips. The first room that I got was the one on the top as all other rooms were book. It had a balcony and two queen size beds which is great if you're here in a group but a waste of space though when you're alone. I had a few problems with this room during my first few nights. I had trouble with the WiFi in the room and the TV was a bit complicated. The TV problem was solved although I had little interest in local channels but the WiFi problem remained until I left. The old couple downstairs were really nice and accommodating but I didn't really expect them to know how to fix the WiFi. One thing I really like for this room was the bathroom as it was constructed to allow natural light to come in. The vines in the shower added an outdoor rustic feel to it which I enjoyed but when I saw a few large ants (the kind you see on soil) on the toilet that was a bit too much. Not really a problem but good thing I wasn't half asleep when I used it or else that would've been a nasty bite. One more thing I didn't like in this room was the red curtains that was used to block out the noontime sun. The curtains were not thick enough to block out the sunlight and instead painted the whole room in bright red light. So much for that midday nap.

The last night of my stay I eventually was able to move to the Bamboo room and it definitely was an improvement. No balcony but cozy enough if you want to sleep in during the day. There was also a couch for those who want to lounge around in front of the telly. Bathroom is also nice although taking a shower felt like I was getting into a space capsule butt naked. Also not advisable for those taller than 6 ft and have a large body frame as you might not fit inside and if you do you might be stuck in there. It was fun though as there were lots of buttons and levers to make your shower interesting. =)

Breakfast was also great as the old couple downstairs prepared hearty Sri Lankan dishes. Be aware though that some maybe too spicy for your liking so proceed with caution on that curry looking dish. Fresh fruits were served everyday. They actually cooked a lot more than I could handle in one sitting but it was really good.

Overall, my whole stay was good enough but not outstanding. The redeeming factor was that the owner and the people managing this B&B were very good people and very warm in welcoming strangers in their home. I'd probably stay here again but I'd choose the Bamboo room instead with that funky shower capsule.

Check Colombo Hotel Deals