Cologne Zoo

www.koelnerzoo.de - 0221 56799100

Cologne Zoo Reviews

Suusj Suusj
Kölner Zoo Nov 19, 2013
The zoo of Cologne has been around for quite some time, since 1860 to be exact. During WWII the zoo was destroyed but reopened in 1947. The official name is; The Aktiengesellschaft Cologne Zoological Garden but I’ll just keep it short to Zoo of Cologne. The zoo has over 7000 animals and more than 700 species including, reptiles, mammals and a whole lot of fish. The reptile and fish house is located opposite of the Zoo. The zoo is active in preservational breeding of animals that are almost extinct.

We, my husband and I visited the zoo in November on a sunny day. It is a 2/2.5 hour drive from our home which is not to bad. The zoo is situated in the city. Which means that whenever you look in the distance you will see buildings/flats or hear traffic noise.

The zoo has road signs everywhere so you always know where you are going and which animals you have or haven’t seen yet. Also, at al the enclosures there are litlle information signs telling you a little something about the animal. Only downside is that those information signs are in German.

When we were there they were rebuilding the restaurant. It was suppose to reopen in early 2014.

When we were there they had an exhibition about the history of the zoo. I don’t know if this is something that was there for a short period of time or not. But it was nice to see the zoo developing from 1860 till 2013. Fun part of that exhibition was that some monkey’s were part of it, as you can see in the pictures .

Overall I would give the Zoo a 7 out of 10. It’s a big zoo with some great enclousers. The Elephants have so much space but then you see some other animals like the pinguins and they could do with an upgrade.

I prefer seeing animals in the wild any day! But we got these tickets and wanted to make a day trip so we did enjoy ourselves.

Would I recommend this zoo? Yes, when you are in Cologne for a longer period of time, if you live nearby and want to make a daytrip or if you want to do something with your kids it’s a nice way to spend your day. But if you are only in Cologne for a short amount of time or not really that much into zoo’s I would not recommend it. Cologne has more to offer than just a zoo.

Opening hours

Adults € 17.50 p.p.

Children (4-12) € 8.50

Children till 3 are free
Suusj says:
Thank you all for the congrats on my feature :)
Posted on: May 17, 2014
joseph98 says:
Congrats on the featured review!
Posted on: May 16, 2014
cotton_foam says:
its a great review!! Congrats on the feature :)
Posted on: May 16, 2014