Colca Canyon

Colca, Peru

Colca Canyon Reviews

rsvpme rsvpme
The Chance to Walk Between the Sky and the River Sep 21, 2013
Colca Canyon is the canyon of the Colca river in south Peru, about 100 kilometers from Arequipa. Although a huge tourist destination,in South America, it has maintained local charm. It is more than twice as deep as the famed, USA Grand Canyon at 13,650 feet or 4,4160 meters.

The Colca valley was different than expected as it is a terraced wonderland with pre-Inca roots and towns settled in Spanish colonial times. The local people cultivate in beautiful, visual terraces.

The condor is a special bird for me,( as sort of mascot) because it signifies my belief in the freedom of man. At the penultimate moment, we saw four birds and I was able to photograph.

Peru is a land of surprises and the canyon does not hesitate to deliver. The stunning vistas are food for any soul, let alone the soul of a man who lives by the sea. Time after time, Peru takes one to her heart... and one waits and bleeds until the next trip.

This is a magical part of the world, that begs further discovery.
The terraces make the canyon come …
Terrfaces and colors ..abound.
I was intrigued by the roadways
Like a fairy tale river.
rsvpme says:
Happy to oblige , it is a powerful place, a home of the gods....One connects for a brief moment with real peace.
Posted on: Aug 28, 2014
victoriasol says:
been there 12 years ago and still remember the feeling of gratitude adn power of theat place. condors are awesome. thank you for taking me back there for a moment
Posted on: Aug 28, 2014
rsvpme says:
Nana- Very well said.....exactemente !
Posted on: Sep 22, 2013
davidx davidx
Beyond words!! Aug 30, 2010
I think the Colca Canyon is one of the most interesting and exciting places I have ever seen. I believe a fairly recent Polish expedition established that it is the world's deepest but that does not matter to me. Nor do I care that it is over twice as deep as the Grand Canyon in the USA nor that its sides may be less near to vertical. I would love to se the Grand Canyon and I loved the Colca Canyon.

When we were on our way to get there early, before all the day trips from Arequipa, some explosions occured beneath our trip vehicle and we had to wait a considerable time for it to be repaired. Fortunately this did not prevent us from having a good view of numerous condors. These immense birds soar over the canyon, waiting for thermals to carry them up and away.

The condors are by no means the only attraction. Terraces used by farmers today on the canyon's steep sides date back beyond the Incas - and Las Chulpas Colgantes, between Cruz del Condor and Chuvay are rock tombs carved into cliff faces that would seem quite impossible, again dating from pre-Inca times.
Vlindeke says:
David, Colca Canyon is such a beautiful place. Have you seen my photos?
Posted on: Aug 30, 2010
d2amy d2amy
Interested Trek May 26, 2010
I first heard of the Colca Canyon once already in Peru. To be honest, now this might sound very ignorant, I never really thought there would be any other canyon in the world other than the Grand Canyon in the US, silly silly me. My boyfriend was the one we suggested we check it out. We first went to the travel agents with the thought we wanted to 2 day, NON-hike canyon tour. But for some reason, we ended up going with the hiking tour.

The first day wasn’t so bad. 7 km of downhill, then a mixture of up and down. But when I say it wasn’t that bad, it was horrible, but for anyone who doesn’t smoke or drink excessively and does no form of exercise what so ever, I think they wouldn’t find it that bad. The second day was the worst though. It was 3 KM, up hill, and I’m not talking bearable uphill. It was HORRIBLE. The worst part was you had to do it on an empty stomach and at 5am. Half was through I gave up and caved and road a mull up the rest of the way and almost died. No big deal though.

The first day was not just a hike, it included bird watching… I can’t believe I forget the name of the giant birds, and a breakfast.
Sylvie1 Sylvie1
Sep 12, 2007
Oh, to describe it in one word, amazing. The most beautiful thing you can see. The nature is gorious, the people are real peruvian people with real clothes. If you ever need a tourguide, just ask for Omar, he's amazing. You should be aware that you are climbing 2000 metres to the above, maybe even more and at one point you are at 5000 metres above sealevel. I became quiet sick, but than sweet Omar gave me some coca - leves. Now the secret is, to chew on cocaleaves, isn't the best tast, so he had this perfect idea and he gave us tastfull gum and then the coca - leaves. So you really don't tast it that much. Some people get sick, others just unwell and others don't feel a think. Just make sure you go up slowly. It's not safe to go up so fast. For the rest, Colca Canyon is one of the most beautiful things you can see. You can even see Condors here.
venusgurl28 says:
How long did it take you to tour Colca? Is it a one day trip?
Posted on: Mar 12, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Colca Canyon

Colca Canyon
Colca Canyon is an incredibly deep canyon near Arequipa that is famous for its steep views and the huge condors that live there. One of the tours we had organised in advance was a three-day bike tour…Colca Canyon is an incredibly deep canyon near Arequipa that is famous for its steep views and the huge…
Colca Canyon trip - day one (lots to see!)
One thing to do when you’re in Arequipa is the almost obligatory Colca Canyon trek. The Colca Canyon is the second deepest canyon in the world (the deepest lies just next to it, the Cotahuasi ca…Colca Canyon trek. The Colca Canyon is the second deepest canyon in the world (the deepest lies just…
Travelling alone in South America
Some notes on travellings with friends and being alone:Too often when travelling wıth frıends, it can become very comfortable staying close to the people you know well… which ıs great for some, …Colca canyon and had sumptous dinner before my bus travelling Rosa Inga- Peruana,met in Colca Canyon touring…

Check Colca Hotel Deals