Cody is a town of about 9900 (up 11% since 2000) located at the intersection of U. S. Highway 14, 16, and 20 with Wyoming Highway 120 in Park County in Northwest Wyoming. Cody is one of the gateways into Yellowstone National Park. Cody was established in 1896 by a group of investors which included William Frederick Cody (better known as “Buffalo Bill”). Even in those early days, Cody attracted a lot of people due to the scenic beauty of its surroundings and the fact that one year later Yellowstone became the first national Park. Cody is the county seat of Park County which was established in 1909, and was so named because of Yellowstone.
Cody is a very historic place with many buildings of historical and/or architectural interest. There is one district and about 20 individual locations in and near Cody listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cody has several museums including the outstanding Buffalo Bill Center of the West (which is five museums in one), the Old Trail Town, the Dug Up Gun Museum, the Cody Murals and much more.