CocoCay, Bahamas (One of RCI's private island)

CocoCay, Bahamas

CocoCay, Bahamas (One of RCI's private island) Reviews

PhinsAndGills PhinsAnd…
Royal Caribbean's private island in the Bahamas May 29, 2008
Imagine if you and your closest 3,000 friends found a secluded island in the Bahamas with great snorkeling and white sand beaches - - and it's yours for a day. That's CocoCay.

When I'm in CocoCay, only one things gets me out of the water... but I'll type that in my PROS

5 PROS

1. The snorkeling ROCKS! Marine life is fabulous around this little island. I've seen puffer fish, eagle rays, sting rays, snappers, sgt. majors... ABUNDANT marine life. The snorkeling is fabulous. When on CocoCay, by backside gets a good tan because it's facing the sun while the rest of me is exploring ocean-life.

2. Clean, beautiful beaches with plenty of chairs and umbrellas. You don't need to tip anyone for chairs and umbrellas. Plop your stuff down and head for the water.

3. Beach BBQ. Get the hot dog. Seriously. Yum.

4. It's BEAUTIFUL! The picture on my wedding invites was taken on CocoCay. As soon as I get the ol' pictures scanned in, I'll post right away.

5. There's a hammock waiting on a beach on a tropical island... just for you. How is that not perfect?

3 CONS

1. If you want souvies other than typical tourist stuff, you're out of luck. There's one small shopping area to buy straw bags, bathing suit wraps (made in Taiwan - not local - but beautiful), key chains, water globes, and other trinkets (95% not local, or even Caribbean). There's also a hair-braiding station. Two words describe the shopping on CocoCay - TOURIST and TACKY

2. If, for some reason completely unbeknownst to me, you are not a beach person, this might as well be a sea day for you. I personally LOVE the place, but if you don't like sand in your shoes and/or saltwater in your mouth - there's nothing to do.

3. Weather and rocky seas have cancelled a cruise ship going to CocoCay more than once. I've talked to cruisers who have missed it 2 or 3 times (out of 7 or 8). I, personally, have never missed it, but beware and know it could happen (just like any other port, really. But I seem to hear about missing CocoCay more than any of the others.)
Mom and Dad find a hammock
CocoCay Map