Cocina Caramba

Cocina Caramba - Last night at Caramba's - Oct 2006

Cocina Caramba Ambergris Caye Reviews

HCSmooth66 HCSmooth…
Cocina Caramba Oct 30, 2009
I had been told a number of times about Caramba from fellow TravBuddies who I was in Ambergris Caye with, so I thought I'd try it out for myself.

On a day when the entire meet-up crew was off doing other things I took it upon myself to decide where to eat lunch. As I was the only one I had to talk into anything it was a pretty easy decision.

Caramba is in San Pedro seemingly right in the heart of the town. Or at least not too far from it. I seemed to be having quite the burger binge on this trip. So many of the places I visited tempted me with a cheeseburger. The one at Caramba had some bacon included. I do love me some bacon :)

They had some hot sauce along with ketchup on the table, and boy was it ever hot. I'm glad I wasn't too liberal in the application of the hot sauce.

Caramba was a very tasty place, with some good atmosphere. It seemed to fit really well with the overall personality of Ambergris Caye. Laid back, casual, friendly.
poohstanggt poohstan…
Best Restaurant in San Pedro! Oct 29, 2006
If I could only choose one place to eat while in Ambergris Caye, it would be Caramba's. It's not waterfront, it's not fancy, it's just great food and a high-energy environment! I usually go at least two times each year and still wish I had another night there so I could go back! Caramba's has been open since 2002 and even in the off season, it's always packed. I am yet eat there and not find the owner, Rene Reyes, there chatting with patrons!

Caramba's has a very comprensive seafood menu with Conch, shrimp, lobster, snapper, grouper, and usually a catch of the day cooked pretyt much any way you like. Grilled, blackened, garlic butter, jerk sauce, coconut sauce, etc. Take note though, entrees with coconut are not the typical US version with coconut breading. It's a coconut milk type sauce, which is unique but still delicious!

For those who are not seafood lovers (what a crime!) they even have burgers, chicken and meat entrees, as well as Mexican dishes. Everything is served with your choice of side dishes (coconut beans are rice are excellent). Complimentary conch ceviche is served with chips and it is definitely worth hoarding!! :-)

As for drinks, margaritas and Belikin beer are the obvious choices. I prefer their Michelada which is one of the best on the caye, but not for everyone. It's definitely an acquired taste but something I grew to love years ago. There are variations of it with tomato juice but the best version is beer with hot sauce, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, and salt on the glass rim. Yes, sounds strange, but my fave!

Prices at Caramba's are reasonable. Everything is in BZE (2 to 1 US conversion so it's easy to remember) and for example, lobster is around $20 US and blackened snapper is $7.50 US. Make sure to try dessert too!!! Key Lime pie on the caye is awesome!!
Last night at Caramba's - Oct 2006
yadilitta says:
wow! it sounds yummy, seafood, yay!!!
Posted on: Nov 04, 2009
travelman727 says:
Erin, you've got my mouth watering thinking of Cocina Caramba's seafood, mexican dishes and Beliken Beer :-D
Posted on: Mar 21, 2008