Cnicht and the Moelwyns

Croesor, United Kingdom

Cnicht and the Moelwyns Croesor Reviews

davidx davidx
Sneer not Dec 05, 2010
I received quite a put-down from somebody from Switzerland, when I described Cnicht as a mountain on another site. I see some websites describe it as the Welsh Matterhorn. I should not dream of using such an absurd term myself and I readily concede that by Swiss standards its height is puny but, as I always seem to be saying, there is more than a mountain to inches. I don't know whether a really giant peak can ever be boring but I do know that plenty of peaks higher than Cnicht don't touch it for interest. However, although I have had great enjoyment walking on it, perhaps the best view of it is from the bottom on the Croesor side where it rises in a Matterhorn-like shape (only!).

From the summit there is a choice of walking either nearly north and descending via lakes to the unclassified but very attractive road through Nantmor or to head south-east to the slightly higher summit of Moelwyn Mawr. The first route is a fine walk but has the disadvantage of leaving you some way from your car (if you have one in Croesor.)

If you do the second walk, it is worth while spending some time on the Moelwyns exploring the remains of the slate industry. It is easy to return to Croesor from the col between Moelwyns Mawr and Bach.

Compare Beddgelert Hotel Rates (4.9km away)

Croesor Map