ClubHotel Riu Bachata

ClubHotel Riu Bachata Puerto Plata Reviews

Matty_g81 Matty_g81
Mixed views on the Bachata, defiantly not a 5 star... Apr 17, 2013
Positives:

First off the staff is excellent including: front desk, bartenders, entertainment, and maids. Every where you went they provided had sanitizer when you went into any restaurants and when you exited the washrooms. Rooms were very cleans and tidy, mostly marble with a nice cherry wood trim with a pretty good living space. The bar staff was superb as they are very friendly, easy to get along with and are not hounding you for tips (I recommend tip $5-10 at the beginning of the trip to 1 or 2 of the main bartenders at your favorite bar and you will be treated like gold for the rest of the trip). As far as currently it seems that the peso is the same or even more common to them then the American dollar, I would recommend bringing the $20US for the departure tax but bringing pesos for everything else.

The rooms also have a mini fridge (Water, Beer, Pepsi, soda water and tonic water) and liquor dispenser (rum, brandy, gin and vodka). Ice and drinking water was available within a 1 minute walk to a ice and water dispensing machine. As far as power goes they work on a 110 volt system that allows our (Canadian) appliances to work it look like a similar plug but you will need to buy a plug converter (you can pick up at Wal-Mart around $12) for it to fit (I had a laptop that worked without it, but my clothes steamer and my girlfriends hair straighter needed the converter).

The pool area was very nice which has plenty of activities (darts, ping pong, water volleyball, water polo etc.). The disco was good the one night that we went most of the other night it was pouring rain.

Negatives:

I would say that this hotel does not deserve to get the 5 star rating; it is pushing a 4 or maybe even a 3.5. The reason why I feel this way is because of many factors. These factors include: food and beverage, hotel utilities, and beach quality.

The thinking of the food offered at this hotel makes my stomach feel ill. Just pasted the mid way point of my trip I was struck with vomiting. I had breakfast at around 9:00 am (I had only had a few drinks the night before as I did not go to the disco because of the rain) everything was going well until around 4:00 pm when I began to throw up eggs from breakfast…. Talking with health care professionals they have expect these symptoms arrived from salmonella poisoning (due to improper storage or preparation or contamination). Basically from that point on I could not stand going into the dinning hall and restored to limiting myself to soup, white rice and fries. From this sickness I could not tolerate doing much so for the last 3 day of my trip I slept or watched movies in my room. My girlfriend was sick with vomiting from the dinner the previous night she was sick within about 1 hour after eating at the Mexican themed night. We had a feeling that it was the sour cream from the pre-made tacos.

Apart from the sickness they only had 2 “a la carte” steak house and Mediterranean themed restaurants that were located in the lunch buffet restaurant?? So basically instead of a buffet style they would serve you the food, this is not appropriate. I have seen it in other resort beautifully themed and individually located “a la carte” restaurants serving up Japanese, French, Italian, and Mediterranean at a 4 star hotel.

As far as there drinks go prepare for a sugar rush everything that you are offered in regards to not alcoholic beverages is sugar water with flavoring, you think in the tropics that fresh juice is available, they also only had one beer available at the bars, presidente which is a pretty good beer but nice to change it up once and a while.

The beaches are horrendous, well the sand is ok it’s the brown type but just stepping into the water you are walking through tree debris and bark, it just felt and looked very dirty and not enjoyable (if you are a beach person do not go here). This is in no way the fault of the hotel, we had a lot of rain on our trip and this causes the tree elements to be thrown every where just an example of how bad it is, there is a smaller beach on the resort where the water sports are, after a rain shower it took the beach cleaning crew probably a good 8 hours to clear the debris just from the beach front, and image what is floating in the water.

Overall:

I think this trip has pushed me to the point that I would not come back to the Dominican Republic due to the poor food standards and beaches in Puerto Plata. We still have confidence that the RIU chain is reputable but we will have to test this out at a different resort in a different country. I know that not everyone gets sick but when you take the proper precautions and there still is a problem then something needs to be said especially in food preparation health can be affected in much more dramatic way. I’d stay away from Puerto Plata and if you need to go to the DR go to Punta Cana.

ClubHotel Riu Bachata Overview

The ClubHotel Riu Bachata offers an outdoor pool, a golf course and free Wi-Fi as well as a sauna, a beauty centre and a concierge.

The ClubHotel Riu Bachata caters for families with children offering a kids pool, a kids club and babysitting / child services. Other services available include a spa & wellness centre, tennis courts and a business centre. Guests of the hotel can relax in the jacuzzi or schedule a massage treatment. The hotel's friendly staff will be happy to book tours and sightseeing in Puerto Plata, as well as give restaurant recommendations.

If you're travelling with a family in tow, the ClubHotel Riu Bachata offers sizeable rooms geared towards the requirements of families and kids. Rooms include a safe, complimentary toiletries and a TV. The ensuite bathrooms include a spa/jetted tub, a hair dryer and a shower. Equipped to make your stay comfortable, rooms offer an iron, a refrigerator and a mini bar.

Less than 10 minutes drive away are some great tourist destinations such as the Ocean World, and conveniently there is complimentary private parking available at the ClubHotel Riu Bachata should you need it. Fortaleza San Felipe can be reached with a 20 minute drive. Guests can find a gift shop, a pharmacy and a hairdresser within the hotel building.

ClubHotel Riu Bachata Amenities

• Jacuzzi
  • Massage
  • Solarium
  • Spa & Wellness Centre
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower