Cloud 23

Hilton Hotel in Beetham Tower, Manchester, United Kingdom

Cloud 23 Manchester Reviews

skiathos skiathos
Cocktails in the Sky with Panoramic City Views. Aug 14, 2011
Cloud 23 is a cocktail bar, so named as it is situated on the 23rd floor of the tallest building in Manchester, Beetham Tower. At 551ft (168 mtr), the Tower is also the tallest skyscraper in the UK, outside of London, and gives fantastic aerial views of Manchester and beyond.

This stylish bar belongs to the Hilton Hotel, which occupies the first 23 floors of the Tower; the remaining floors consisting of residential apartments.

There is a guest list in operation to gain access to Cloud 23, with upto a several month waiting time, so it is best to go late afternoon from 5pm, as the guest list doesn't come into operation until 7pm. So long as you are early enough, you can take your place in the queue on the red carpet in the reception area.

Note: hotel guests are given priority over visitors. Dress casual smart/stylish or you will be refused admission by the bouncers on the lift access.

Once in the bar, there's a range of beers, wines and champagnes to choose from, as well as an impressive menu of classic and signature cocktails, prices from £8.50. I recommend the Singapore Sling if you want a long drink that will last a while. You can even order high-tea here, complete with cakes and cucumber sandwiches, bit pricey though at £17 - personally, I'd rather spend this on a good steak.

The seating next to the floor-to-ceiling windows is of a very trendy design, but I was surprised to notice that it wasn't very clean (quite out of keeping with the everything else). However it is comfortable and in such a chilled atmosphere, with such great views, in good company with a few rums downed, who cares?

Beetham Tower is right opposite the Castlefield area of Manchester (historic, quite picturesque, lots of bars). It is at the top of Deansgate, one of the main thoroughfares of the city (full of bars, but mainly chavy ones). It is also a short walk to the Gay Village - more bars, clubs and restaurants. Its situation, therefore, makes it a great place to begin a night out, provided you are able to start it very early.
skiathos says:
Looked very low-key and friendly from what I saw, but they have radios, so if someone got arsy, I'm sure they would have additional security there in a flash.
Posted on: Aug 14, 2011
spocklogic says:
Are the 'bouncers' on the lift access polite about refusing access, or snooty and rude about it?
Posted on: Aug 14, 2011
skiathos says:
Salut Zia et merci beaucoup pour ton sourire, tes remarques et le lien ! Si tu voyages à Manchester une fois encore, tu devrais vraiment visiter l'intérieur du tour. Ce n'est pas si cher à rapport du Manchester Big Wheel et les vues sont magnifiques. Amitié D:
Posted on: Aug 13, 2011
sarahelaine sarahela…
Cloud 23 Sep 09, 2011
Cloud 23 is a public-ish bar on the 23rd floor in the Hilton, Manchester. I say public-ish. The only way up is past a bouncer and into a lift, and the door policy is idiosyncratic. I’m unaware of an actual official dress code, and I suspect it depends on who is around and how they feel.

The bar takes up three sides of the Beatham tower, the modern skyscraper that dominates the Manchester skyline. The views are spectacular, as Manchester is a reasonably low rise city and there is almost nothing blocking your view to the horizon. Service is at your table, and was extremely prompt and friendly. Although this is by no means a cheap bar, I was happy to see the mark up was nowhere near as bad as I would think, with cocktails at the expensive but not insane level of around £8. There is also an entrance charge if live music is on – about £3 when we were there, for a lounge singer, but as it was a special occasion I didn’t mind. Although the entrance policy is quite tight, there was no sense of stiffness or snobbiness in the staff and I had a great evening. The cocktails were very nice, with a wide variety of drinks, and I did notice that there was a good range of non alcoholic drinks for people who aren’t drinking alcohol. In this sense, it is the exact opposite of Panacea, which is snotty and snobby without actually being terribly nice. All in all, I thought this bar was surprisingly laid back and friendly for a posh cocktail bar.

Be prepared for a long wait on weekends, with no guarantee of entrance. I have heard there’s a guest list later in the evening, but as a friend organised this, I can’t confirm that. I think this is a good place for a mid-week romantic treat, especially on the rare occasions Manchester is sunny enough to achieve a sunset.
sarahelaine says:
I was impressed - I was expecting something way snootier! :)
Posted on: Sep 14, 2011
skiathos says:
Glad you liked it. I found it very laid back too, although I've only been in the day. Don't know what it would be like later on.
Posted on: Sep 14, 2011