Closed? Best check for yourself.: The Grand Palace

Bangkok, Thailand

Closed? Best check for yourself.: The Grand Palace Bangkok Reviews

jaaf jaaf
Nov 12, 2007
Its difficult to imagine how everybody on the street can speak the same language and fool the tourists. We planned to visit the Grand Palace one fine morning and hence went there by the Chao Phya Express Boat. Got off at the nearest pier and headed towards the Grand Palace. Realizing that we are moving in the wrong direction, I decided to check with a pedestrian. I was told that the Palace is closed and the gates will open at 1400 hrs. This is absurd, I said. I knew beforehand that it was a weekday, and palace is open from 0830-1530 hrs daily. I checked with other guy, who repeated the same fact. Then came another guy, offering me to take to three nearby spots for a paltry 30 B and would bring back to me to the same spot. I instantly knew it was a trap. I had read about such dragnets. Fortunately, I met an Indian tourist from Mumbai. She explained that she has just returned from the palace and it is wide open for tourists

Check up at the hotel front desk before leaving for the Palace about the timings and whether it is closed/open on that day. Normally, it is always open from 0830-1530 hrs. Be sure of the direction of the Palace and if you have to ask about directions, don't ask a local street peddler or a vendor. Ask a tourist.

Plan beforehand and be sure of the directions. Good street maps are available in all hotels and the TAT (Tourist Authority of Thailand) Counters of the Airport.
mmeymey says:
Nice, even the announcement in front of grand palace said not to trust any wily stranger.
Posted on: Mar 24, 2013
thaitravelor66 says:
The best thing to do is ask your hotel staff or have good map where the entrance is and walk right past those guys. They can be very persuasive and sometimes forceful. Just ignore them. They try to get you in taxis to somewhere else.
Posted on: Dec 27, 2008
frankcanfly says:
Yep, it pays to know some things beforehand, and always ask again! Good tip!
Posted on: Feb 07, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Closed? Best check for yourself.: The Grand Palace

Dan, Ben and Steves tour of South East Asia 2002
Wednesday 3rd April 2002 After 10 uncomfortable hours on lufthansa’s finest 747 we landed at Hong Kong’s Chek lap kok airport at about 7am, unfortunately we’d had seats in the middle row so di…palaces, but they were closed so we walked back to #10 via a CD/DVD shop where I bought Spiderman and Star Wars episode II. We got back…

Check Bangkok Hotel Deals