Clifden Guesthouse Dublin

Clifden Guesthouse Dublin Rates and Deals

Clifden Guesthouse Dublin Reviews

hanleyscot hanleysc…
Way better than what I would've ever guessed! Mar 30, 2015
My first introduction to Ireland was a room that was the size of a shoe box. Not that there was anything wrong with that. It's just a bit of a culture shock for someone from the U.S. I had heard numerous times that accommodations in Europe were much smaller but as always, I thought it was an exaggeration. In actuality, it's been a fairly accurate assessment. Not so much with The Clifden Guesthouse on Gardiner Place in Dublin, Ireland, though.

I vaguely remember booking my accommodations here but somehow I ended up with a one bedroom apartment. If I remember correctly it was less than $80 a night. I would say that was quite a steal for the location and size. It was possibly an extra ten minutes away from the main parts of Dublin that anyone would normally go to. Not a draw back for me. I like walking. Granted, I was still wearing sneakers with holes in them and it was still raining non-stop.

I arrived way too early, neglecting to actually pay attention to the check in time. I just looked at their website, though. It indicates 2pm, which is normal, if not early. Regardless, they held my backpack for me and I went out to venture the famed Temple Bar area. When I eventually returned to check in the girl at the reception was really sweet. To my surprise the room was actually across the street. The apartment rooms are all across the street. She brought me to my room and explained all the various rules. I even had to sign a waiver that I would not use my room as a drug haven (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit but some of the rules seemed quite obvious that they just seemed silly).

Silly rules possibly but I was soon reminded of why they are necessary. Stupid people like me. I kept wondering why my adapter was not working. It wouldn't work at this hotel either. So I walked back across the street to see if they had a working one that I could borrow. After a few minutes of her looking for another one, she checked mine out. It worked fine. After a couple more minutes I realized that she was not plugging the cord in the same way that I was. I just assumed that I should plug my U.S. electronics into the holes that fit the U.S. electronics (the one that I'm used to). Apparently not. We finally figured it out. She called me a stupid American. I agreed. Then I went back to my awesome one bedroom apartment. Ok, she didn't really call me a stupid American but she was probably thinking it. I mean, why not? That's what I was thinking.

I took plenty of pictures so I won't go into too much detail about what it looked like. You can see that for yourselves. But it was very modern looking decor for such an older building. I'm actually a big fan of that so it was great for me. I'm not huge on IKEA style furnishings but sometimes they just work. This was the case for this place.

The kitchen was equipped with most everything you would need. Although I did find it odd that there was no frying pan. Not sure how to make eggs in the morning without one. There were plates, glasses, silverware…but not a whole lot of actual cooking equipment. There was a large refrigerator/freezer available. It was in the living room but whatever…it was still there. The laundry machine was oddly enough in the kitchen.

The living room was very spacious and included a fake fire place which acted as a heater. There was also a flat screen TV and a pull out couch, as well as, a table and chairs for eating.

The bedroom was also very spacious. The double bed was comfortable enough for me. There was also separate heating available. There was also a dresser large enough to house Narnia.

The bathroom was a little cramped but still way bigger than the previous place I stayed at. It included a quarter circle shower. The doors confused me to no end. I almost wish there was a video to watch my dumb ass trying to get into it. The doors were not exactly opening very easily but I did attempt it correctly the first time but they just weren't moving. After a few minutes I just tried to squeeze through them. I'm only about 150lbs soaking wet but even I was having a hard time getting in. Eventually I finally got it to work. Which was really great because I really needed a shower.

This was only to be trumped by my apparent inability to use a washer/dryer machine. I didn't have any detergent and didn't feel like going out in the rain to get any so I just washed my clothes in the sink with some regular soap. Whatever. Don't judge me. It got them clean enough. I then put them in the dryer. Which is where the problem began. I thought I read the directions and it seemed easy enough to operate. I put the clothes in the dryer and took a shower. Eventually I got hungry and went out to get something for dinner. The clothes were still in the dryer.

Upon my return, the entire apartment stunk of something. I guess burnt clothes. Or a broken dryer. I thought I had set it for only about a half hour but it was still running when I returned. I tried my best to open the door to the washer/dryer but it would not open. No matter how many times I stopped it. Later I realized that you have to wait a couple minutes after you stop it for it to actually unlock. Not sure why that is necessary. Maybe because it was a front loader? Luckily the apartment had many windows to open so I could quickly get rid of the burning smell. My clothes were unharmed. Not sure about the washer/dryer. Never went near it again.

Only complaint about the hotel was that it had no elevator, which is not uncommon from what I have found in Europe so far. The hallways smelled a little but I don't think that had anything to do with the hotel itself. I think some of the people there actually live there as their main residence. So there's no controlling that.

Definitely worth it. I would totally stay there again. Staff was great. They even spent a few minutes with me helping me get to the nearest bus station to head to the airport when I checked out.

Also of note…I wish I knew the name of it but there is a dive bar just a block or two away going down one of the side streets of Gardiner Place. If you like dive bars…I highly recommend it, also. Good people there. And way cheaper than many of the other places in Dublin, of course.

Clifden Guesthouse Dublin Overview

Clifden House is a 200 year old 'listed' non smoking Georgian home with 15 ensuite rooms right in the heart of Dublin city centre, with free secure car parking for guests even after check-out. Our Guesthouse BnB accommodation is within a 10 minute walk to O'Connell street which offers convenient transport around the entire city, making it a great place to stay in Dublin. Experience the warm homely feel at Clifden House with it's kind and friendly staff. We cater for single, double, twin, triple and family stays. Private lock-up car park at rear of building - 10 euro per day. All 15 rooms are ensuite, with shower in lower rooms and full bathshower in rooms on 4th floor, no elevator, with direct dial telephone, TV and teacoffee making facilities. WiFi internet access available. Convenient easy access to ferryport, DART, LUAS, Busarus (bus station) and train stations.

Clifden Guesthouse Amenities

• TV
  • DVD Player
  • Shops
  • Direct dial phone
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower