Clay Station Wines

10497 Alta Mesa Road, Lodi, CA, USA

Clay Station Wines Lodi Reviews

poohstanggt poohstan…
Jan 12, 2008
At our night out at the Stinking Rose restaurant last night, we opted to try a new wine with dinner. Anyone who knows me knows I am quite the wino and love reds, especially older zinfandels. We tried a middle of the road (price wise) Old Vine Zinfandel from a vineyard called Clay Station. It didn't note on the menu but come to find out, they are located in Lodi, one region noted to have some of the best production zins.

In the restaurant, the wine was $29 which was an incredible price for such a bold wine. We had a 2005 Old Vine Zinfandel which was definitely fruit forward. Not sure what the average retail price is elsewhere, but they do have a link on their website to various distributors.

Interesting story behind the vineyard itself. The Indelicatos, multi-generation grape growers in Northern CA, are responsible for this fabulous wine. The Clay Station vineyard is located on the Borden Ranch in Lodi, which was established in 1864, by Ivey Lewis Borden. The name Clay Station came from a historic stagecoach stop used during California's Gold Rush. There is additional information about the history of Clay Station and the ranch they have the vineyard on. Not sure if they have a tasting room but definitely want to check it out if they do!
PhinsAndGills says:
Next time I make it out that way, I'll have to make this a stop!
Posted on: Mar 02, 2008