Ciudad Vieja

Guatemala
Ciudad Vieja - Church door entrance...very ornate setting...stucco work is excellent.
Ciudad Vieja - Park/church ..side view...more sculpted trees
Ciudad Vieja - This was a monument to something.....The long script made no sense to me..It is a cupola..but why?
Ciudad Vieja - Volcan de Agua in the background
Ciudad Vieja - Park on other side of street from church
Ciudad Vieja - Unusual..as there are two parks ..one on each side of the street.
Ciudad Vieja - I love the setting..very serene

Ciudad Vieja Reviews

rsvpme rsvpme
Another Taste of Yesterday ...Today Sep 21, 2013
After 2 1/2 months in Antigua, Guatemala, my time in Guatemala, is slowly coming to a close and I now look at the country with much different eyes.

After traveling over much of the country; I realize I have truly enjoyed the people and the small towns. Guatemala City itself did not impress me, but once again that is a personal preference.

I realized that the average person can not live in Antigua, this UNESCO world heritage city. The local Guatemalan has sold his property in Antigua, for large sums of money, to foreigners...many of them absentee owners.

Property values on Antigua are now only for those who have rather large sums of money.

Locals work in Antigua and live in so called " bedroom communities" around Antigua. Transportation to these old town is by chicken bus 3Q ( about 25 cents).

I have been intrigued by these places; have visited many and have found a character, that far exceeded my thoughts.

Yesterday I went to Ciudad Vieja, a small town of some 26,000 people, about five kilometers from Antigua.

The first thing that jumped to my eyes was the cleanliness and the Large central park area. It seems the more pride people take in their Parque Centrale, the more vibrant the community.

This is an old community founded around 1527 with a well restored colonial church erected in 1523.

All of this under the watchful eyes of the volcano....Volcan de Agua.

This town really impressed me...greatly..It has a sense of activity but peace and contentment.
Church door entrance...very ornate…
Unusual..as there are two parks ..…
Park on other side of street from …
Park/church ..side view...more scu…
rsvpme says:
Wanda..I have never tired of the history of Antigua and the surrounding area. One of my life's joys.
Posted on: Nov 15, 2013
wandafromtexas says:
really a lot was covered in your blog! wish I had the patience! congrats, tho late! keep enjoying!
Posted on: Nov 14, 2013
rsvpme says:
May...Your words inspire...as always...People like you who look..Really look.......give me the desire to search for more expression.
Posted on: Aug 09, 2013