City of the Dead Tour

Royal Mile, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

City of the Dead Tour Edinburgh Reviews

AggieRockStar AggieRoc…
Highly entertaining Apr 06, 2011
This was something I'd read about months before coming to Scotland and just knew I had to try. I am a non-believer in ghosts, and even so, really enjoyed this tour. The guides meet you outside St. Giles Cathedral and no reservation is necessary, simply walk up and pay your guide.

The tour itself takes you through some narrow alleys around Edinburgh and you get a great and really funny dose of history from the energetic guide before getting into the spirit parts. According to the guide, they are the only tour company who can get you into the tunnels under some of old bridges, and the restricted section of the Edinburgh cemetary where the Mackenzie Poltergeist resides. Therefore, if those sights are important, this is the company to go with.

The tour itself was very informative and entertaining (might be scary for young children) and it got one scream out of me (which isn't that difficult). I would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting Scotland.
Locked beneath a bridge where hund…
Edinburgh Cemetary
View of the City from the Cemetary
Flodden Wall
ScottishFireball Scottish…
Really cool tour May 19, 2008
This was really exciting to me, I'm and avid ghost hunter. I have always loved the stories and I finally got to go. Our guide was wonderful and very into the tour! He was very very animated I just loved it! However if you have nightmare don't do it, I have done a lot of things like this an it is quite scary. But otherwise do it, I loved it. I would come back just to do that again.
In front of one of the graves. In…
dougal dougal
Feb 16, 2007
Edinburgh, being an old Victorian city, has something of a colourful past. The steady stream of tourists means that there are no shortage of opportunities to take a guided tour of it.

There are a number of tours operating around a similar area but we opted for the City of the Dead tour, claiming as it did to have had a number of it's customers fainting and being attacked by spirits.

Leaving several times a night you are met by your guide at Merkat Square who then takes you off for a walking tour of some of the older parts of the city whilst regaling you with tales of Edinburgh's more gruesome past.

Be prepared to join in with the tales as members of the party are regularly called up to help re enact some of the events!

The bulk of this particular tour takes place in the Greyfriars graveyard which is home, according to our guide, to any number of ghosts. Wandering around a graveyard at night is always going to be a little spooky and with the guide expertly raising the tension with grisly and ghostly tales everyone is decidedly jumpy by the tour's end.

You have to do the tour yourself to discover the highpoint but you're guaranteed to finish the night with your heart racing!

One thing to bare in mind - much of the tour is spent wandering around a graveyard which can get quite muddy so you'll need to make sure you have suitable footwear.
City of the Dead Tour
Fah_Sky says:
Posted on: Aug 03, 2011
sunsetrosebud says:
That sounds like a lot of fun.
Posted on: Apr 28, 2007