City and Countryside

Amsterdam, Netherlands

City and Countryside Amsterdam Reviews

ivy76 ivy76
Amsterdam (City and Countryside) Apr 15, 2012
To be honest, I was undecided whether to go to Amsterdam or not. I wanted to go last summer but I ended up in Ladakh (Himalayas) and told myself I would go this April. For some reason, Paris came to mind and then Jordan/Israel. I've been dilly-dallying for two months and I still couldn't decide. Finally, I tossed a coin and it was Amsterdam.

The first two days was a bit of a struggle. I got off the wrong station after I arrived at the airport. I asked one guy if he was getting off Amsterdam central station and he said yes. Turned out he's from Bristol and doesn't know the place very well, why on earth didn't he tell me earlier! There were two older women from Malaysia who did the same thing. All four of us were lost. The good thing about it was he did try to help us with our luggages. If it was my first time to travel alone, I would have been worried sick but now I just tell myself "All roads lead to Rome" and we did find our hotels (not far from each other). I found out that the Dutch people are very friendly and extremely helpful. They also speak English fluently which is a great help especially when you're asking for directions!

I didn't want to waste time so on the first day I went walking around the city and got lost again - and again. In the evening, I went to the Red Light district for the first time, it was cold and raining, I went home drenched - I was not a happy bunny. I didn't realise it was Good Friday until I got home, that probably explains why I got rained on!

The second day, I started to get my bearings but I'm still not happy with the weather. I guess that's the chance one has to take when travelling to northern Europe.The next three days, I was all over the place. I met some nice people along the way. At night, I would always go to the RLD, it's always bustling with activity. I would have wanted to go to the Concertgebouw on some nights but being on my own wouldn't be that fun. When I was at the RLD, most of the time I just watch what people do, take photos, hangout with my friends or just stroll on my own. (Side note: Do you know, it feels rather flattering when guys still notice me especially when there are plenty of girls behind the window half naked!)

When I have enough, I would take a tram back to the hotel around midnight and crash in bed, I'd be exhausted I could hardly move. The next night I'm back again. Honestly, I can go there with my eyes closed now! Not sure whether this is something I should be proud of!

There's so much to do in Amsterdam, it's almost impossible to get bored. If you're a party animal, there are pubs, "coffee shops", adult spot etc. If you like arts there are plenty of really good museums. My favourite is Rijks, I can spend hours there and I still want to go back. Even if you're not an art connoisseur, you will love it.

One thing I noticed and I think most people will agree with me is that it is quite an expensive place but I suppose it is expected in Europe. A salad will cost you 10 euros, that's 4 times more expensive than Kuwait! And a bottle of water cost 2 euros. So if you go there, you might just save money if you drink beer instead of water!

Check Amsterdam Hotel Deals