City Tavern

www.citytavern.com - (215) 413-1443

City Tavern Philadelphia Reviews

NJTProadcruiser NJTProad…
Lunch & History Aug 01, 2011
City Tavern is a restaurant located in the historic district of Philadelphia that serves post-colonial era cuisine in a setting reminiscent of a late 1700’s United States dining room.

As part of the July 4, 2011 Independence Day celebration I visited City Tavern on a suggestion made by Travbuddy member (ArizonaIndigenous) who was visiting along with another member (castex21) in Philadelphia.

The historic building has three floors of dining space including the basement (lit by candlelight) as well as space outside. During my visit there was live music in the basement.

The staff was dressed in period outfits, were professional and friendly.

The restaurant serves beer named after the historical figures such as George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin and their recipes. I believe I had the Thomas Jefferson beer and it was good with my lunch.

For lunch, I ordered the Salmagundi which is according to the menu composed of “fresh garden greens, ham, smoked turkey, smoked chicken, salami, cheddar cheese, hard-boiled egg and olives.” The salad was very good.

Everybody enjoyed their meals, including the “Martha Washington style Colonial Turkey Pot Pie” and an “Artichoke & Smoked Chicken” salad.

The total for lunch was approximately $25 including tax and tip.

I would recommend City Tavern as a good way to experience colonial dining and good food.

Notes:

As of July 2011, there was exterior construction and there does not appear to be any impact inside the restaurant.

I would also like to disclose that the restaurant does have late 20th century plumbing and that attempts to “live in the moment” outside the confines of the restaurant will probably lead to a disorderly persons summons. :)
Salmagundi Salad - City Tavern in …
Exterior - City Tavern in Philadel…
paganmom says:
I ate there while on my Philly trip and my favorite was the lobster pie. Holy smokes it was amazing! Beer was very nice and super cold.

I really liked this restaurant.
Posted on: Mar 18, 2014
WalterC says:
I've debated whether to check this place or out, as the prices are just way too high for me.
Posted on: Aug 15, 2013