City Sights

Beaumont, Texas

City Sights Beaumont Reviews

cornishgirl cornishg…
Beaumont Tx. An unexpected gem Jul 14, 2011
I was in Beaumont 21/22 February 2011 and was travelling from New Orleans to Houston and looking for place to stop between those two destinations. It wasn't a conscious decision " Oh I must go to Beaumont " but a happy coincidence.

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites out at Clearwater Court, comfortable hotel but confusing to get into - seemed to drive through several car parks to get to it.

Visited the Fire Museum first, very impressive dalmatian hydrant out front ! They were really friendly and helpful in there even let me use their phone to call Heather as my mobile had died - great southern hospitality. Came across the same hospitality in the Zydeco Louisiana Diner where I ate with Heather - got a free dessert , Louisiana Mud Pie I think - better check with Heather.

Took a tour of the McFadden-Ward House. Beautifully preserved and a very informative docent but security was very stiff thought they were going to ask for a strip search , no handbags, no cameras and God forbid if you step off the carpet !!

I noticed an Art Museum but being a bit of a heathen didn't go in. I did however go into the Texas Energy Museum, small but well laid out and easy to get information overload.

St. Anthony's Basilica was difficult to get into as they had been having some issues with vandalism but once I found the necessary person to gain access the stained glass windows were lovely. The paintings and sacrificial alter were also well worth a visit.

My final visit was on my way out of Beaumont when on impulse I pulled into the Babe Didrikson Zaharias Museum. Very tiny but packed full of information. Being an ignorant Brit I'd never heard of Babe but I left very well informed.

As I said not a planned visit but plenty to keep me out of mischief. It did seem very quite and with the exception of the McFadden-Ward House, where I joined a tour with four other people, I was the only tourist at the other venues. Quite time of year or are you getting by-passed , that would be a shame because as I found out Beaumont has a lot to offer the tourist.

Check Beaumont Hotel Deals