Cities

919 19th Street NW, Washington, DC, USA

Cities Washington Reviews

alexindc alexindc
Classy happy hour spot Mar 23, 2011
On a Wednesday afternoon, some friends and I decided to go fancy for happy hour, and checked out this relatively new joint downtown called Cities.

Cities is a lounge which opened a few months ago at 919 19th Street. It's fancy, and prides itself on an eclectic selection of hand crafted cocktails and a rotating, continental menu. Our group sampled the Greek mojito (metaxa instead of rum, and lemon juice added with the lime juice), the Hemmingway (Bacardi, cherry liquer, grapefruit juice and lime juice) and the 21st Amendment ale on tap. The mojito came out a little too sweet, but the Hemmingway was delicious and refreshing.

For food we tried: macaroni and cheese, served in its own individual mini casserole, with a home style bread crumb and cheese crust; sweetened vinegar spare ribs, stacked high on a small plate; and the boneless braised beef short ribs crostini, topped with tomato and cilantro. All of these are appetizer small plates, so don't go ordering these expecting a full meal.

For now, it seems the older professional crowd makes this their happy hour home. Skirts, slacks and loosened ties were the name of the game. However, the chill atmosphere and the friendly staff make it a nice relaxing place to get a drink after work for anyone. It's more noisy closer to the front windows, and more dark and chill the further one goes towards the back.

Overall? Worth checking out if you want to get away from the typical crowded and noisy downtown happy hour scene and enjoy some refreshing cocktails. Note that the price rating I gave is for HAPPY HOUR, not for any other time, which can be quite expensive here!

Related Travel Blogs About Cities

My Day in Washington DC
A full day to explore the amazing city of Washington DC and so many landmarks and beautify buildings to be seen I tried to get a ticket on the Hop on Hop off bus but unfortunately it was booked out b…city of Washington DC and so many landmarks and beautify buildings to be seen I tried to get a ticket…
Exploring Washington DC!
I moved to Virginia and started working in DC from June 2009. And one day, as I was sitting in my office wondering why my life feels so boring...and what I can do it lighten it up aga…city of washington DC...the nation's capitol! I started immediately ...the same evening......and till date have explored some…

Check Washington Hotel Deals