Cirque du Soleil - Zaia

The Venetian Macao

Cirque du Soleil - Zaia Reviews

cockaigne cockaigne
A Gravity Defying Feast for the Eyes Feb 08, 2011
What a great way to close a year! It was MOP188 (1 MOP = 1 HKD) well spent since I had expected to pay more when I checked the ticket price in the website (and I was aiming for the cheapest ticket available!).

To my surprise, the lady at the ZAİA™ Theater Box Office of The Venetian® Macao offered me a MOP200 discount of the original MOP388 adult ticket price. I didn't ask why the ticket was discounted, I just booked immediately for the earliest performance (that day, they have two performances on the afternoon and the evening). I guess, when you're buying the ticket, it's worth asking if they have a special discount for you.

I've been planning to watch Cirque du Soleil all my life and I've even put it in my list of things to do before I die. And I must say that that 90-minute performance turned my world upside down. The story of Zaia reminds me a bit of Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince. It's about a journey of self-discovery--done in an acrobatic manner, of course.

Even before the show begun, when I was looking for my seat, the audience was already greeted by some characters. This interactive performance culminated as the focus shifted to two odd characters who introduced the audience to the main character, Zaia.

If you're sitting in the front seat, or somewhere near the front seat, expect to be dragged to the stage or have a clown sit on your lap or throw a popcorn on you. Don't say I didn't warn you. These characters are unpredictable.

As Zaia started her journey on a balloon ride to the outer space, that's when the magic happened. People floating out of nowhere above you. The miniature Earth at the center of the stage shifted and floated towards you. The rest is an amazing performance that'll challenge your perception of gravity and an overwhelming stimuli--colors, fire, acrobats, sounds, the cryptic language that they use, the music--that will not give you time to blink.
My Zaia ticket