Ciros Bar

No such thing in Costa Rica, San Jose, Costa Rica

Ciros Bar San Jose Reviews

Higton Higton
The Best Bar in San Jose, Bar None Sep 05, 2006
I feel it is time to write about my new local. From the outside (and indeed from the inside) it really is nothing to write home about. In fact, it is nothing really to write to all and sundry about either. I´d describe the place as a sports bar. It has TV´s with inconsequential sporting events showing, such as baseball (really, I´m trying to understand), American College Football and obscure Latin American football games. I trust you note the use of the word football, as opposed to soccer. Yet, I love this place. I can hear you all panting with anticipation as to why I have this opinion. Well:

1. It was the first place in which I came across the Costa Rican lottery. This event is beyond anything Westerners can comprehend. For example, British chavs will be used to the fanciness of "Guinevere" (sp), those multi-coloured, numerical spheres and ridiculously themed shows hosted by M-list celebrities. No such tomfoolery in Costa Rica. You get a bastardised bird-cage, two presenters crossed between Samantha Fox and that tall bloke from Fleetwood Mac dressed in poor quality business suits. Like the ones I used to wear. Small wooden spheres get delivered out of the cage with the relevant numerals burnt onto them. There is no bluster, there is no pazzazz, it´s just numbers and idiots.

2. Imperial beer. I have noted this before. But here it comes 2-for-1. All the time. 1,000 colones (50p each in the Queen´s pence) for two beers. Always. Thank you.

3. Location. Not the huge draw you´re expecting; I´ll try to provide relevant comparisons for those I know. For Nottinghamonians, think somewhere like Beeston, but near a bad bit. Sheffheads, you´re thinking Broomhill-ish (maybe). For those who´ve ever lived in Liverpool, Smithdown Road is bang on. It´s sort of student-ish but with a hint of danger. It has the right mix of being safe enough, but something could happen.

4. Chairs. They´re like brown leather mini bar stools. It feels like you´re at a school for drinkers. And they swivel.

5. Food. Bar snacks plus. The only place I have come across which sells the Costa Rican equivalent of tapas - called bocas. Some of it is lousy, some is great. The fact that one never knows is what makes it fun.
Welcome to the suburbs. The cage-…
At night - a bit more scary...?

Check San Jose Hotel Deals