Circular itinerary - ferries and buses

Lisbon, Portugal

Circular itinerary - ferries and buses Lisbon Reviews

davidx davidx
A grand day out Mar 12, 1999
When I went with a friend to Lisbon in 1999, we were very taken with the sight of ferries leaving Cais do Sobre and I set myself to working out a pleasant overall trip embracing two different ferry routes. Here it is:

1.) Take a ferry to Montijo - this is the longest trip by ferry and if the tide is out you may be surprised at the number of godwits eating on the mud.

2.) Bus to Setubal - this stage was pretty ordinary. Personally I did not like the architecture of the church there, although it is highly rated. I think the Manuelline style is great on a huge building like Jeronimos in Lisbon but I find it over-ornate on smaller buildings.

3.) Bus to Sesimbra - a beautiful run well above the sea but with coastal views all the way. It would be worth trying to get a fair bit of time in Sesimbra.

4.) (optional extra). Local bus return to the fishing port of Sesimbra. We found this surprisingly busy compared to our own fishing ports.

5.) Bus to Cacilhas - if you do this at rush hour, you will be mightily gratified that you are not in the horrendous queue waiting to cross the bridge.

6.) Short ferry crossing to Cais do Sobre - check that this still runs. it seemed most unlikely that the bridge has caused its closure but better safe than sorry.
The church, Setubal