Cicciolina's

Calle Triunfo 393, Cusco, Peru

Cicciolina's Cusco Reviews

starship1 starship1
Cicciolina's ~ Excellent Peruvian Food Apr 16, 2014
While in Chinchero to see some excellent demonstrations of weaving and dyeing techniques at the Center for Traditional Textiles in the main courtyard, our group was guided to another enclosed yard area where we were served an alfresco lunch at long tables topped by colorful cloths and under the shade of large umbrellas. The lunch, catered by "Cicciolina Restaurant" from Cusco, was an excellent array of Peruvian dishes from appetizers to sweets and the servers couldn't be more pleasant or efficient.

I tried just a little of almost everything -- and there were a few things I tried more than just a little -- such as the Beetroot & Sweet Potato chips with guacamole; the appetizers of Andean rice with smoked trout; and quinoa with herbed yogurt salsa. Entrees included Alpaca terrine with caramelized onions and Aguaymanto chutney; oven baked quinoa-crusted chicken with Huancaina; vegetable & white wine quiche with arugula; Cuzquenan solterito; corn, fava beans, fresh cheese & herbs; potato & quinoa salad; fresh avocado. There were just 2 desserts offered but each one was so good! The homemade "wild sauco" cheesecake and banana muffins with Manjar were as tasty as I've ever had. Since there were menus on each table, I kept one which is why I can name all these dishes! (See photo 3.)

Everything was served family style and each table had huge platters of the tasty food for everyone at the table to share. Nearly all the ingredients in the meal were new to my taste buds, but I can truthfully say that this was my favorite meal while in Peru. Based on the quality of this meal, I would be very likely to visit their restaurant in Cusco.

As the Center for Traditional Textiles in Chinchero is said to be at an altitude of about 12,500 ft., several people were having more than a little difficulty breathing. More than just a few of us were trying out the Mate de Coca tea which is reputed to help ease this condition. However, it did not seem to make a difference in the way I was feeling. Read more about Mate de Coca tea in my local customs tip here.

Our time spent here was probably 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. and was quite a learning experience. From here we would make our way to Huayllabamba to our hotel and base camp for 4 nights and when we would next visit Cusco, our first experience with the city would be in the historic Plaza de Armas.

Favorite Dish: The vegetable and white wine quiche was particularly good and probably my favorite dish. The dishes using quinoa were also tasty. Another of my favorites was the beetroot & sweet potato chips with guacamole on the side; the chips were a big favorite with the kids (not mine) on our tour. These types of chips can be found here in the US, but I had not previously tried them --- now I often buy them! Of course, everyone loved the desserts!
starship1 says:
It certainly was! Cicciolina's did a fantastic job!
Posted on: Feb 22, 2017
loripori says:
Sounds like a wonderful dining experience
Posted on: Feb 21, 2017
german_eagle says:
Makes me hungry, reading your descriptions of the food!
Posted on: Feb 20, 2017