Chuy's Hula Hut

3825 Lake Austin Blvd., Austin, TX, USA
www.hulahut.com - 512-476-4852
Chuy's Hula Hut - with our drinks!
Chuy's Hula Hut - why do they always give me the drink menu?
Chuy's Hula Hut - great bar
Chuy's Hula Hut - Chicken Flautas
Chuy's Hula Hut - Hula Hut Salad
Chuy's Hula Hut - the bar
Chuy's Hula Hut - Entrance (photo property of Chuy's)

Chuy's Hula Hut Austin Reviews

HCSmooth66 HCSmooth…
Unique angle at Tex-Mex Aug 06, 2009
I really love the food here. The Polynesian twist on Tex-Mex food is something I have never seen before, but I loved it. The drinks, especially the margaritas, are wonderful. The decor is completely unique.

One of the things in Austin that seems far more commonplace than anywhere else I’ve been is the queso. At least everywhere I had lived previously when I went to a Mexican restaurant it was just chips and salsa. But in Austin it’s more typical to order a bowl of queso as well. Not that I can blame anyone for doing it, the queso is often phenomenal.

My favorite dish is the Chicken and Guacamole Tubular Taco. That seems to be the fancy way of saying “Chicken Softshell Taco” at the Hula Hut. I am a huge fan of chicken, cheese, and guacamole, so this is a little taste of heaven. And if you still have a bit of queso left over after munching on tortillas I recommend splashing a bit of it on your taco.

The setting right on Lake Austin Boulevard is nice, though as it’s pretty much situated right on the backside of a dam blocking up the Texas version of the Colorado River. Sometimes if you sit out on the deck there can be an odor common among lakefront properties, but aside from that it’s a great setting. Everything in Austin tends to be really laid back, and the Hula Hut is certainly no exception. I never wore anything more than shorts, sandals, and a t-shirt anywhere in the city.

The only problem I have with this place is the same complaint I have with virtually every restaurant in Austin: Long wait times. It seems as if the entire city of Austin abhors the idea of cooking at home because the restaurants are always packed.

Parking in the immediate vicinity of the restaurant is limited, but they do have supplemental lots up the hill a little ways with golf-carts operating between the lots and the restaurant.
yadilitta yadilitta
Tex Mex Luau in Austin - Hula Hut Oct 11, 2008
I went to the Hula Hut during my 2nd visit in Austin. Texas is famous for the BBQ, but also they have a great Tex Mex and this place mixes it with a Hawaiian style, cool!

Ok, let's talk about the location. Just 1 word: great! It's located right on Lake Austin, basically on a pier. It's huge inside and outside, with twin bars that extend directly over the water. People can dock their boats right outside to take a brake. Definitely this is the spot to catch a bite and drink during any sunny day.

Regarding the atmosphere it is really laid back and cool. Imagine hula girl dolls, fishing poles, fake palm trees, etc. as the decor inside. and of course an unbeatable view! The staff wear Surf clothing and are really friendly and helpful.

Now, the food. It's mostly Tex-Mex with a sprinkling of items with Hawaiian influences. You'll see a Hawaiian inspired sauce here and a pineapple covered dish there and fruity mixed drinks. It is very good and they serve large amounts. The drinks are great, and very creative. It's actually an interesting combination. They have free chips and salsa available from a "serve yourself station" at the bar while you wait. Ask for the jalapeno ranch dip. OMG! It can become addictive!

Locals come here all the time, so it can be crowded, though it's worth to wait :)
why do they always give me the dri…
the bar
ratu says:
Featured!

Posted on: Oct 21, 2008
yadilitta says:
yes, eventually we will meet :)
Posted on: Oct 15, 2008
lonlee2 lonlee2
Polynesian Meets Mexican! Jul 19, 2008
Hula Hut has become an Austin landmark for its creative mix of Tex-Mex and south sea flavors! Owned by the Chuy's restaurant chain, its a great place to eat, drink and socialize. Especially in the summer on the deck, where thatched tables offer excellent views of the lake. You can even dock next to the restaurant if you come by boat! The menu offers such tempting dishes as the Roasted Chicken Pipeline Enchiladas. Roasted chicken breast and Monterrey Jack cheese rolled in corn tortillas covered in a queso blanco suauce, served with beans and rice. The Huli Huli Luau Platter or Polynesian Pescado Platter, (both great for sharing). And my favorite, the Mexonesian Shrimp Flautas. Fried wontons filled with shrimp, bacon, jalapenos and cheese served with a tasty plum sauce. YUM! Don't forget to wash them down with one of Hula's great margaritas. The Mango is my fav there. And if you're boating in, have a designated driver and plenty of life vests! Hula Hut is a winner all the way around!
Entrance (photo property of Chuy's)
Lake view and deck.
intownlyn says:
I used to frequent this place when I was a student at UT, and I still love it. Ate here this weekend...Shrimp Tacos are fabulous!
Posted on: Aug 15, 2010
travelman727 says:
Lonnie, fabulous review! Thanks to you, Yadi and other's who suggested this place, we're going to dine at Hula Hut during our Austin TravBuddy meetup :-D
Posted on: Oct 14, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Chuy's Hula Hut

Austin - Tons of Sun & Fun in Amazing Austin
  Austin - Tons of Sun & Fun in Amazing Austin Four TravBuddies gathered for drinks at the Sunset Capital of Texas overlooking lovely Lake Travis. We chatted like monkeys (a…Austin shindig. We had a wonderful time laughing and dining at a fabulous one-of-a-kind restaurant - Chuy's Hula Hut. 7:00 p.m. - CHUY

Check Austin Hotel Deals