Château de Chenonceau

Chenonceaux, France
Château de Chenonceau - Yup, I was there!
Château de Chenonceau - This is to prove that I was there ;)
Château de Chenonceau - The lovely chapel within
Château de Chenonceau - That's the one! My fairy tale castle!
Château de Chenonceau - To me, this was the most beautiful view of the Chateau.
Château de Chenonceau - To me, this was the most beautiful view of the Chateau.

Château de Chenonceau Chenonceaux Reviews

anupa_rk anupa_rk
Fairytale castle in a beautiful region of France May 14, 2016
A popular trip from Paris is to the Loire valley region, famous for being littered with Chateaus. One is actually spoiled for choice when deciding to visit this region on a time crunch.

We only had a day to spare, and I thought we could squeeze in at least three Chateaus if we got there nice and early. I was wrong. But I made a great decision in going to this Chateau first.

The town of Chenonceaux is about 30 kms from the nearest city of Tours, and a little over 200 kms from Paris.

The castle is also known as the Castle of the Six Ladies, paying homage to the powerful French noblewomen who contributed in the maintenance and beautification of the Chateau. The most well known among them (to me) was Catherine de Medici, mother of high heels ;)

As with most attractions of this sort, that have immense history attached to them, I highly recommend the Audio guide. I honestly feel like it adds so much value to the visit. This particular guide is done extremely well and strives to give you a glimpse into the lives of the nobility that lived in this magnificent place.

The Chateau displays the opulance of the French nobility in their bedrooms and halls. It also displays the beautiful gardens that were such an integral part of all these residences.

Chenonceau boasts of two beautiful gardens, one of Diane de Poitiers and the other of Catherine de Medici. I think the view of the Chateau from Catherine's garden is absolutely splendid.

Side note: Is it just me, or did anyone else notice how tiny the beds of these noblemen/women were?!! They were so little!!

The entrance to the Chateau (after the audio guide collection point) is the traditional guards room. From there one can enter a lovely little Chapel all in white, with some stained glass thrown in, of course.

On one side of the building is a library and an office (!) called the Green Office which displays some magnificent tapestry depicting the exotic flora and fauna discovered in the Americas, including pineapples!

On the other side, and up the stairs are the ornately decorated bedrooms. Also present are a ballroom and a massive kitchen area.

The kitchen area was the most interesting, to me. There was a specific area for the butcher, a little nook for the bread, area to store food, and of course to cook and clean.

There is a narrow bridge in the kitchen area that actually allowed little boats to come over the river Cher, laden with food and supplies.. to be offloaded at this little bridge in the kitchen! Fabulous idea!

Oh and there is also a newly added gallery at the top of the stairs.

The entrance to the Chateau and the gardens was 13 euros and the audio guide added a 4.5 euros more. Totally worth it, trust me!
That's the one! My fairy tale cast…
This is to prove that I was there …
The lovely chapel within
Paulovic says:
Congrats on your featured review! Well done!
shaginhekvs says: