Chronic Cellars

Chronic Cellars - That pool table in the middle of the room

Chronic Cellars Paso Robles Reviews

williamsworld williams…
Get Chronic May 24, 2010
I am not sure how many times I passed the place because I was looking for one of those big impressive Spanish styled tasting rooms with tons of sculptures and free flowing fountains, but to my surprise, parking in a dusty lot and making my way up to a simple small ranch home sitting off the road. I figured that it was probably a pretty good place considering the the guys who started this and confirmed by the people walking out with cases. I guess that is a good sign since this place has only been around since 2008.

The tasting room has a mountain cabin feel - wood everywhere, tall ceilings, large fireplace - nothing fancy, though they did have a nice pool table. Less we forget that big sofa in the corner. The wine bar was staffed this day by a young man who had a really good knowledge of the wines and the people behind them. He was also the guys how had some pretty impressive photos for sale in the tasting room. I can’t remember for the life of me what his name was, but he was great. The small wine bar offered a really nice feeling. You were right up there in this guys face and so I guess he had to give it to us straight. He poured a variety of wines including:

"La Muneca" - a white blend of Grenache Blanc, Marsanne, Roussanne, and Viognier. Rich melon and pear fruit flavors, floral bouquet, and a zinger of a finish. A great way to start.

"Purple Paradise" - A Zinfandel with a touch of Petite-Sirah. Very fruit forward with ripe raspberries and white pepper - solid and one of the best bangs for your buck.

"El Perfecto" - Tempranillo-Zinfandel blend - a nice round-mouth feel here, with smoky blackberries and just the right amount of spiciness. A great food wine.

"Dead Nuts Zinfandel" - Even more layered than the "Purple Paradise," this is a notch above it with dark fruits that taste like they've been grilled on hickory planks. A must try.

"Sofa King Bueno" - Syrah, Petite-Sirah, Grenache, Mourvedre (I mean who makes a GSM blend with Petite-Sirah?) It's everything you want in a let's-just-chill-sipper: spice, balanced black and red fruits, rich and lush mouth feel - and of course the coolest name ever for a wine.

"Suite Petite" - Even though it features artwork of a bohemian chick on the label this is a manly, massive 100% Petite-Sirah. Imagine the whiff of the best greasy spoon breakfast - blueberries and bacon and the taste of juiciest blackberries. My favorite of favorites.

The wines are all reasonably priced ($14 to $30) and feature amazing Day of the Dead inspired artwork by Joe Kalionzes on the labels.

Check 'em out! You'll be Sofa King happy.
don't blink or you will miss it
Welcome to Chronic