Christmas Ghent

Belgium

Christmas Ghent Reviews

HelenP HelenP
A Pre-Christmas Treat Dec 24, 2014
I visited Ghent on the run up to Christmas in order to enjoy the Christmas market and do a bit of sightseeing.

Having already visited Bruge, the city was very much as I expected it to be; canals, cobbled streets, dutch gabled buildings and a profusion of chocolate shops.

The market I found quite so, so. There were quite a few stalls, but very little original content and I was particularly irritated that I was unable to find the iced gingerbread that I had promised my daughter. Although I did enjoy watching the ice skaters and trying my hand a panning shots with my camera, the Bath Christmas market was, to my mind, much better.

I was very impressed with the castle though, as I am somewhat of a sucker for those still mostly intact and surrounded by water. It was clear and bright when we visited and the view across the rooftops was excellent.

Although, as I say, the market was somewhat of a let-down, the shops were very much into the Christmas spirit and there were some really sumptuous festive window displays.

The tourist info, tucked inside the entrance to the old fish market was very good. On the first day I armed myself with a walking map and proceeded to navigate my way around the must-see sights of the old town. I loved the canal side area of Korenlai/Graslai where you can just sit and chill and enjoy the views of the canal and old merchant houses.

And finally.. beer. One cannot write a review about Ghent without mentioning beer. The number of beers available is almost countless and all of the ones that I tasted over my three day visit were excellent. A word of warning though.. look at the % on the label. Some are as high as 11%!
Ghent
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review! :)
rsvpme says:
Congrats on making feature...season wishes,,,
Nana_gincin says:
Congrats on your featured Helen, and Merry Christmas !!!
Belgium Map