Christ the Savior Cathedral Church

  based on 3 reviews   write a review

Trg srpskih vladara 3, Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina
hhsbl.org/index.php?lang=en - +387 (0) 53 233 370
Christ the Savior Cathedral Church - Welcome to Banja Luka
Christ the Savior Cathedral Church - Remains of church
Christ the Savior Cathedral Church - Inscription
Christ the Savior Cathedral Church - Remains of church
Christ the Savior Cathedral Church - Christ The Savior Cathedral Church, back door
Christ the Savior Cathedral Church - Christ The Savior Cathedral Church
Christ the Savior Cathedral Church - Christ The Savior Cathedral Church

Christ the Savior Cathedral Church Banja Luka Reviews

odiseya odiseya
241 reviews
Main Orthodox Church in town Jan 22, 2017
Christ the Savior Cathedral church (temple) (Saborni hram Hrista Spasitelja) is located in the heart of City.

The church is build between 1925 and 1929.

In the moment of making decision of building it set deadline for 600 days to build a temple base 22.10 x 19.50 m, with 46 m high tower without a cross and a dome diameter of 6 meters at a height of 22.70 m. Besides the financial trouble, works on temple were completed before the agreed deadline.

It is destroy during WWII by Croatian "Ustasha" in 1941. After war the smaller church was build near the original place - today Holly Trinity church (Serbian Cyrillic: read: Crkva Svete Trojice) in his memory.

On the original spot long time it was forbidden to rebuild the church. Long time in that place was monument of fighters of WWII.

In the early nineties Banja Luka parish received permission to rebuild the destroyed temple, and the monument to the fallen soldiers moved to a nearby site, also owned by the Serbian Orthodox Church. Reconstruction of the temple started in 1993. when foundations were blessed by Serbian Patriarch Pavle with the bishops and priests of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

The Church is constructed of red and yellow bricks that were imported from the Middle East. The walls have three major components: stone, reinforced concrete, and brick. The cupolas are covered with golden slaked lime, imported from Siberia.

It holds (comfortably) between 800 and 1000 worshippers. In this complex is also and shop and cottage where believers can light a candle for their dearest (living and dead).

In front of secondary entrance (in front of Banski dvori) is two places with remains of original temple destroying 12. April 1941 in bombing by Germans airplanes.

Worship schedule:

- Matins 7:30 a.m.

- Evening 5 p.m. (winter) and 6 p.m. (summer)

- Vigil on the eve of Sundays and holidays: 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. (summer)

- Divine Liturgy on Sundays and feast during week (a calendar marked in red letters - big feasts) 9 p.m.

- Divine Liturgy (for deceased) - every Saturday and after mention (except holiday - calendar marked in red letters - big feasts) 8 a.m.

- General memorial service - every Saturday at 11 a.m.

- Mournful canon of Christ the Savior - Sundays after Liturgy.

Interesting is that plateau behind church alongside with central part of Gospodska street is venue of many cultural events.
Christ The Savior Cathedral Church
Christ The Savior Cathedral Church
Christ The Savior Cathedral Church…
0 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Link
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
odiseya odiseya
241 reviews
Square Jan 24, 2017
Trg Srpskih vladara (meaning. Serbian rulers square) is yet another square or clear public space in downtown. It is located in front of main door of Church of Christ the Savior. You enter to this square from main street - Kralja Aleksandra street. It is direct opposite to outdoor space of Hotel Bosna.

This square connect real architecture gems of Banja Luka: Administrative center (Bans Palace) and Banski Dvori (Bans Court).

Since the church had two door, you can enter only on main door.
Welcome to Banja Luka
0 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Link
odiseya odiseya
241 reviews
Remains of past Jan 22, 2017
In front of secondary entrance of Christ the Savior temple (church) and in front of Cultural Center Banski Dvor are two places with remains of original temple of Holly Trinity. The previous temple on this location was destroying on 12th April 1941 in bombing by Germans airplanes and by Ustasi government during WWII (Independent State of Croatia).

Here is also huge plaque with description and relevant information on three languages: Serbian (Cyrillic), German and English.
Remains of church
Inscription
Remains of church
0 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Link

Check Banja Luka Hotel Deals

Check-in:
Check-out:
Guests:
Rooms:
Banja Luka Map
4 reviews
3 reviews - $83
1 review - $73
1 review - $13
Banja Luka
photo by: irmayu