Chowara

Kovalam, India

Chowara Kovalam Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
A walk in Chowara village Feb 21, 2017
On one morning of our stay at the Travancore Heritage hotel we took our cameras and went for a walk through the village on its doorstep, Chowara. The friendly locals took no issue with my camera, and several willingly posed. Sights such as a small Hindu shrine, different foods on display in the shops, traditional scales and weights, and the people themselves - all are everyday things to them, and it must seem strange that we find them "exotic" enough to photograph. But then, I am often surprised at the things I see tourists photographing in London, where my everyday is their exotic.

Chowara is primarily a fishing village and as such not a rich one, although tourism has brought a welcome boost to the local economy I am sure. There are several hotels here catering to a range of budgets, but it still feels primarily a local village and all the better for it!

You need to take care when walking here, as everywhere in India, as there are few if any pavements and the road through the village is quite a busy one – on a bus route and with lots of other vehicles including motorbikes and scooters. But if you like taking photos with lots of local colour you will be amply rewarded for your efforts – so much more so than simply staying in your hotel all day with no real sense of what lies on your doorstep!

Check Kovalam Hotel Deals