Cholo's Peruvian Cuisine

www.cholos.com.au - (02) 6248 8648

Cholo's Peruvian Cuisine Canberra Reviews

ebonics101 ebonics1…
Delicious Dining Experience Mar 26, 2016
Cholo's brands itself as an authentic Peruvian restaurant and is located in a rather busy shopping area just a few KM northwest of Canberra's city center. Your biggest challenge in going there would be finding parking in the evening but other than that, it's pretty easy to see locate.

The venue is rather small but, during my visit, there was plenty of seating available. I cannot speak with any certain how busy one night is to the next but the night I went was a Saturday at 8:00pm so I was a bit surprised that there were not more in attendance considering the amount of diners out around those shops. I was also surprised at the young performer of Peruvian folk music who simultaneously sang traditional songs, played the charango and zampona and clicked his heels. Again, I am not sure if live music is a regular occurrence for this restaurant but the guy's obvious talent proved to be very entertaining.

The restaurant is decorated with the traditional Peruvian wares, including the obligatory picture of Manchu Picchu. As for the food, their menu contains items such as ox hearts, llama, empanadas, ceviche, Peruvian beer and pisco cocktails. I had the ox hearts (tastes like liver and was served on a skewer with a side of sauce), a saucy and decadent pork and vegetable dish (sorry, can't remember the name) and tres leches cake for desert.

The food was delicious and filling without being heavy on the stomach (hence why I could fit in dessert). I cannot speak to the authenticity as I have never traveled to Peru but the presentation and flavor was very pleasing. Hence, I would highly recommend a visit if you would like to try something different for this area of Australia.

Check Canberra Hotel Deals