Chocolate Hills National Monument

Bohol, Philippines

Chocolate Hills National Monument Bohol Reviews

jengin jengin
Bohol Review Apr 15, 2013
Bohol is a first income class island province of the Philippines located in the Central Visayas region, consisting of Bohol Island and 75 minor surrounding islands. Its capital is Tagbilaran City. With a land area of 4,117.26 square kilometres (1,589.68 sq mi) and a coastline 261 kilometres (162 mi) long, Bohol is the tenth largest island of the Philippines.To the west of Bohol is Cebu, to the northeast is the island of Leyte and to the south, across the Bohol Sea is Mindanao.

The province is a popular tourist destination with its beaches and resorts.The Chocolate Hills, numerous mounds of limestone formations, is the most popular attraction. The formations can be seen by land (climbing the highest point) or by air with ultralight airplane tours. Panglao Island, located just southwest of Tagbilaran City, is famous for its diving locations and routinely listed as one of the top ten diving locations in the world. Numerous tourist resorts dot the southern beaches and cater to divers from around the world. The Philippine Tarsier, considered the second-smallest primate in the world, is indigenous to the island.

Province of Bohol is a place where people are very hospitable and kind.They take value what they have and support the things that they are going to accomplish.And as Boholano I'am proud say that I love being Boholano citizen.
docglad docglad
Chocolate Hills Jul 13, 2012
At mid day, we arrived finally at the Chocolate Hills at Carmen, Bohol. It was too hot so i recommend that you bring your sun protectors (umbrella/ lotions/eyeglasses). You need too climb a plight of stairs before reaching the view deck, but it was worth it! The view was magnificently perfect. The Entrance fee to this site is very minimal. So Come, visit Bohol to see for yourselves the Chocolate Hills (brown during Summer) but its very green during rainy seasons.
charlsie charlsie
Minty Chocolate Hills Aug 18, 2011
Traveled to the Chocolate Hills in Bohol in the beginning of August 2011. Since that was during the typhoon season for the Philippines, they had received quite a bit or rain. As a result, the Chocolate Hills weren't as brown as chocolate. So I like to call them Minty Chocolate Hills because they were fairly green.

Regardless, it was still an awesome sight to see. After climbing up the stairs to the top, you get rewarded with a 360 view of these chocolate hills ^^ We were lucky to have had a clear day so our pictures came out beautifully. I believe that scientists aren't certain as how these hills came to be, but there are some theories. It's interesting to read up on.

Also, on our way to Danao, we were surrounded by the hills which was a nice treat for the eyes.
Chocolate Hills Bohol, Philippines
Chocolate Hills Bohol, Philippines
kilnamona kilnamona
countryside tour in bohol Mar 06, 2011
We went to bohol by ferry from camiguin island upon reaching port of jagna -we transferred by van to accomodation on panglao island .next morning we were collected by our tour driver -c/o ms.lillett ,we did the countryside tour which includes the famous chocolate hills.
lgeood03 lgeood03
The Best attraction in Bohol May 07, 2011
I think Chocolate Hills will be the best attraction in Bohol. Because for my whole day trip to Bohol, only Chocolate Hills I've experienced excitement rather than the other sights.

But next time I will visit Bohol I will make sure to visit also Panglao Beach.
yheleen yheleen
The Hills That Made Bohol World-Famous Apr 11, 2009
1, 268 chocolate-colored dome-shaped hills sized 30-50 meters in high are the ultimate reasons why Bohol is one of the must-see visits in the Philippines. And they are NOT man-made but were formed naturally.

Although the island is known for other attractions - the beautiful beaches in Panglao, the Philippine tarsier which is the world's smallest primate, the century-old churches and towers, majestic falls and caves, Prony (the 23--feet, 300-kg python in captivity) and more others, they say you have never really been to Bohol if you haven't seen the Chocolate Hills.

Well, the best way to view them is still through the Chocolate Hills Complex in Barangay Buenos Aires, Carmen. The complex is composed of two chocolate hills developed years and years ago and transformed into a complex complete with cemented road going up, restaurant, conference room, swimming pool, activity area with water fountain, 200+ steps with covered deck rest stops along the way and metal railing to aide your climb way up to the 360 degress Observation Deck, Virgin Mary Grotto, beautiful and tall pine trees to shade the steps. The Chocolate Hills Complex also developed new building structures with different accomodations to cater visitors that wish to stay overnight in the middle of the Chocolate Hills.

How to get there? Well, there are many tourist guides and tour operators who'll be more than happy to show you around the island but if you want to explore on your own, that is also very possible as the hills are pretty much accessible.

One can travel to Bohol from Manila directly to Tagbilaran City (Bohol's capital) or through Cebu City and then ride the 2-hour ferry ride for 500 pesos (make sure you ride one of those fast crafts). Then you go to Dao terminal and catch a bus going to Carmen for less than a hundred. Dao Terminal is just in front of the Island City Mall so it would be hard for you to get lost. Just tell the bus assistant to drop you off Carmen's Chocolate Hills and there will be many motorbikes for you to ride on to take you to the top. Don't worry, you can also hike the distance if you want to - we did when me and my cousins were there last December - gave us more time to enjoy the scenery. Once there, you'll pay the entrance fee of 50 pesos (used to be 25 pesos last year) and enjoy the 214-step hike to the top that will give you the panoramic vista of the exquisite beauty strewn like chocolate drops in an intricate manner by the magic hands of nature. (whew! that was a mouthful - words written at the foot of the 214-steps)

Anyway, there's another place where you can view the hills - a much newer area - the Sagbayan Peak. This five-hectare mountaintop resort and recreation center offers massive, spectacular viewing for nature lovers. Its viewing deck offers a 360-degree perspective of the Chocolate Hills plus the blue sea that separates Bohol and Cebu. The high-powered telescopes on the view deck are a treat. With a 10-peso coin, you can have a view of Cebu City from across the sea for a minute or two. There's a playground in the middle of a grassy field, while a flea market at a side offered native products and delicacies. Hmm, am actually thinking of writing a separate review for Sagbayan since the resort has many things to offer...

For now, if ever you are planning to visit PI, make sure Bohol is in your list - and yes, with it, the famous Chocolate Hills - one of the new wonders of the world ;)
having fun with the famous hills
214 steps to the top
the wonder of Mother Nature
can't get tired of seeing them - j…
kumikob says:
Now the place is on my wish list!
Posted on: Feb 22, 2011
Jeroenadmiraal says:
Ah great! I´ll be there in 3 weeks. Cant wait!
Posted on: Apr 13, 2009
Jacqinmiddenamerika says:
Hi Yheleen, Congrats on your featured review, I would love to go to the chocolate hills :-)
Posted on: Apr 12, 2009
noelee noelee
Budget sightseeing in Beautiful Bohol by motorbike Jun 07, 2009
If you can drive a motorbike I would seriously recommend it as a way to see Bohol, particularly Panglao Island.

Scooters are available for rent all around Alona and they usually start at 500peso a day, however, if you have some patience, want a bike for a few days and are good at haggling then put on your best smile as we managed to get ours for 900peso total for 3days. Approximately €5 a day. We told them that we got a better price up the road and went from there...

The island of Panglao is very small and easily explored. The locals are friendly and will point you in the right direction or happily recommend a nice beach. It was in this way that we managed to find a beautiful deserted white sand bach which we had to ourselves for an entire afternoon. We also visited the local market and stocked up on fresh fuit, veg and cheap noodles.

Bohol itself is on a much larger scale and it's easily a 100km drive each way to the Chocolate Hills from Alona Beach but it is a beautiful, very scenic drive. Package day trips there, by van, (including a visit to see the tarsier monkey and river cruise) seems to cost approximately 2500peso upwards per person which is quite pricey when you're on a budget. In travelling this way we could stop and take photos whereever we wanted. The roads were very good for the most part and it is a very direct route with any turns being very well sign posted. Initially, after leaving Tagbilaran, you pass through a number of costal villages and then you turn north into the centre of the island and you pass through loads of small villages, past rice fields, through forests and up and down hills... it really is a very nice journey.

The chocolate hills viewpoint is very well marked and you pay a small entrance fee. From the viewpoint you can see in all directions. Apparently their colour changes throughout the year and depending on the weather- sometimes green, sometimes yellow or brown.

I rode the whole journey on the back of the bike as I can't drive. For the most part this was comfortable, although I admit I was a little saddle sore when I got on the bike again the second day. The bikes are easy to use and have a powerful engine, excellent for the hills and dirt tracks. HOWEVER, I would not recommend learning how to ride a motorbike in the dark while wearing mere flipflops... I don't think my big toe will ever be the same again.
our motorbike
the bridge connecting bohol to pan…
the chocolate hills
the deserted beach we came across.…
aspiringdiplo aspiring…
Island of Bohol Sep 20, 2009
In Bohol, the highest influx of tourists is during summer holidays which is March-May, and during Sandugo festival in July. Luckily, this time is considered lean months for tourists. So i decided to go for my scheduled whirlwind trip to Bohol. I along with my 2 friends were there September 4 to 7. We decided to do the main tours during weekends since we’ve got tons of work to settle as soon as we get back to Manila.

Three of us flew via Philippine Airlines (PAL) which cost USD35/pax. Of course this is a promo fare already booked a few weeks ago. It is really is important to book earlier and during the promo periods to see the difference to regular fare. I'd also like to mention that PAL exclusively uses the newer Terminal 2 of Manila airport for all their domestic and international flights so our check-in at the airport was a breeze.

We arrived at Tagbilaran City in the afternoon. Tagbilaran is the provincial capital, also considered as the political, financial and cultural capital of the island province. We just went to Bohol Quality Mall for some toiletries and had a quick dinner at KFC. We went to bed early. :)

Chocolate Hills in Carmen

Man-Made Forest of Bilar

Butterfly Sanctuary and must try home made ice cream

Hanging Bridge of Sevilla

Loboc River Cruise

Tarsier Sighting

World's Largest Python in Captivity

Baclayon Church and Museum, will not allow sleeveless tops in the church

Blood Compact Site

Hinagdanan Cave

Bohol Beach Club P450/pax consumable so dinner was included here

Mass at Tagbilaran Cathedral, drop by the plaza and old capitol site.

Dauis Church and Museum aka Hinandumanan, developed by the Zobel family

Bohol Bee Farm!!!!! Buffet consists of.seafood soup, fresh garden salad, organic rice with camote, bread and squash muffins, seafood lasagna, honey glazed chicken, baked pork ribs, and grilled marlin, bottomless lemongrass iced tea, 2 scoops of homemade ice cream!

Farm tour is a must-do as well. I had the massage which was so relaxing because it was on a cliff...the best ambiance! You can also go swimming but we just decided to chill by the deck/massage area.:)

Shopping for souvenirs and bring home goodies!

Took a dinner at Garden Café beside the church. Good food serviced by deaf and mute staff.

More photos to follow! :)
you can't eat these Hershey's kiss…
Hanging bridge of Sevilla. "Buco K…
Asia's first airline flies daily t…
life size history