Chocolate Hill Complex

Carmen Hill Complex, Carmen, Philippines

Chocolate Hill Complex Carmen Reviews

joehobo joehobo
Chocolate hills of Carmen Jan 20, 2014
A visit to the Chocolate hills at Carmen was part of a day tour of Loboc,Tarsier conservation area,lunch in a floating restaurant,butterfly park,Albuequrque,Bacalayon Church,blood compact site in the province of Bohol.Taxis,tour operators are aplenty and the days news paper will give you information with a host of adverts to choose from.Your hotel or hostel reception or travel desk could also help you decide.I chose from the hotel travel desk and the cab operator was on time.Carmen was a few hours drive of roughly about fifty five Kilometers from Tagbilaran town center.Having packed our bread sandwiches,fresh juices and water we set out in an station utility vehicle a Mitsubishi Adventurer to be specific.The climatiser in the wagon was effective and the roads being well maintained our drive was smooth. Having stopped by at a few interesting sites and some for the sake of knowing what it was,we passed over a river and through Loboc a small town with a quaint looking church as we headed towards Carmen.We passed through a dense man made forest of huge Mahogany trees,Paddy fields,country houses with cows, chicken pens, small eateries and shops which overall presented a pleasant calm rural setting.We also noticed further away from the road conical shaped hills here and there as the car took a deviation from the main road up into a narrow road heading uphill towards the Carmen complex and looking around we got a glimpse of the natural wonder we were about to witness.We got down from the car and climbed a row of about three hundred or so high steps paved on the hilltop, resting in benches placed conveniently after every hundred or so steps, we reached the view point.

Panting we looked to behold all around us pale brown and green very uniformly conical shaped mounds of several hundred hills as far as our eyes could see.Truly we had witnessed a natural wonder which is a world heritage site for very many reasons.People were photographing each other and being a holiday there was a pretty mix of native people and tourists like us at the view point which also had a wishing well and a bell,were people threw coins into the well making some wishes and ringing the bell.I jostled in between them and got myself the best place I could muster to get some pictures.I was amazed at this natural wonder in the back drop of dark rain bearing clouds which was a pretty site.I wished and waited for a rainbow to sprout in the background to paint a wonderful indelible picture of the Carmen hills in my memory forever which wish I presume was not for the day.

While admiring the beauty and pondering on this natural phenomenon I overheard people talking about the creation of these hills as being one erupting out of a fight between to Giants who flung boulders or may be the hills at each other and ended themselves tired to be friends forever after.I overheard another story that these hills were solidified teardrops of a giant named Arogo when he grieved for his dead love Aloyo. There were a few funny stories too but not worth the mention here.A thick drizzle of rain was not very welcome to the holiday crowd as all scurried for cover.I walked back to the car and as we drove to the next destination wondered as to why these round cone hills where called chocolate hills.My inquisitiveness made me ask my chauffeur of it who said that the hills have grass and shrubs which are green during the rainy season but they turn themselves into golden brown during Autumn Winter and then dry into a dark brown shade during summer to put up an astonishing picture of fallen chocolate drops all over this countryside.

Astonished at the beauty of creation and the creator we drove back through a thick drizzle to our next destination to witness another of creations wonder "the Tarsier".

The next day to my shock and surprise an earthquake measuring 7.2 on the Richter shook the Province of Bohol.All the man erected structures built over Carmen hills were thrown to the ground by natures fury.However even in this tragedy the hills and their majestic presence stood firm.

So come one summer sometime soon may I would come again to try to paint in my memory a picture of the many brown chocolate hills and wish for a rainbow too as a back drop.
Ils1976 says:
love the review ... you got me interested by the word chocolate! :D
Posted on: Jan 21, 2014
cotton_foam says:
I'm still wondering why I wasn't so impressed with the chocolate hills when we visited...nonetheless, the mounds looks wonderful from your photos!!
Thank you Martin for writing this review! I do appreciate it!
Posted on: Jan 20, 2014
nolan says:
Interesting story. We were there many years ago but I didn't know of the tale about the Chocolate hills.

Also I remember during that earthquake that you were somewhere in that area. Good thing you weren't affected.
Posted on: Jan 20, 2014