Chiricahua N. Monument, Portal, AZ USA

Portal, Arizona

Chiricahua N. Monument, Portal, AZ USA Reviews

walterman9999 walterma…
Chiricahua N. Monument, Portal, AZ USA Dec 05, 2016
I came down from Interstate 10 in SW New Mexico to Portal in SE Arizona wanting to find free backcountry camping in the Chiricahua Mountains. I drove across the mountains not finding any pull offs for camping. At dark I just picked a spot and drove off the road and made camp.

Morning came and I made coffee. Later I started driving west through the mountains and found Chiricahua Nat. Monument. Quickly the strange rock formations appeared. I followed the Park road and the mass spires came into view. (I can see Apache Native Americans hiding from the US Army in the spires.) The road ended at Massai Point at a big parking lot with the spires below me. Since there was hiking trails I took my half gallon water canteen with me as I took to the trails downhill to the base of the strange rock formations. It was very interesting walking in through the rock formations.

After a while it got very hot and soon my canteen was dry. Then I started walking back uphill and stopped often to sit in the shade and rest. (Failed this survival test.) It took a long time walking and resting till I finally made it back to Old White # 2, with the ice chest and very cold water to drink. After a long hydro break I drove the road to Wilcox than Interstate highway 10 to Tucson.
Chiricahua N.M., Massai Point