Chino Bandido Takee-Outee

www.chinobandido.com - (602) 375-3639

Chino Bandido Takee-Outee Phoenix Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Food Fusion Dec 03, 2009
Going to Phoenix to visit friends, I researched different restaurants that I wanted to eat at while there. I had seen Chino Bandido on the Food Network show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives (a great resource), but it was absolutely necessary that I eat there. But, in trying to figure out what to do for lunch on Saturday when I arrived, I suggested Chino Bandido, and Kim and Nadalee agreed. They had never been there, either. We found it without any problems. It's located in a non-descript strip mall, amongst other international food-fares.

Chino Bandido is a fusion restaurant, mixing Chinese and Mexican cuisines. We weren't sure what to order or how to order, but it seemed that the man behind the counter was prepared for that. He offered us samplings of their most popular meats, what you base your dish around, such as carnitas, emerald chicken and jade red chicken. I chose the jade red chicken in a rice bowl (the meat served with your choice of rice, white or various fried rices). I should have ordered the jade red chicken in a burrito, to experience the full Chinese-Mexican fusion, but I must say, the rice bowl was good. I was even able to eat the whole thing using chopsticks, of which I was quite proud. The meal also came with a complementary cookie, the choices that day were snickerdoodle and chocolate chip. I could NOT pass up a snickerdoodle, and it was worth the visit alond. It was the best tasting cookie I've ever had. It was so moist and chewy, almost cake-like.
Chino Bandido Takee-Outee
Help with the menu and all its cho…
Jade Red Chicken
I successfully used chopsticks!
freespirit3 freespir…
Chino Bandido Takee-Outee Nov 15, 2009
This is one of the 'dives' from Guy Fieri's Show "Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives" on the food network. Honestly, the location sucks.

As for the food, well I guess if you just can't make up your mind whether you want Chinese or Mexican then this is the place for you.

It is a unique twist on you can have both or why not mix them together. I had the Carnitas Quesadilla and the Jade Red Chicken with white rice and black beans. And of course the free snickerdoodle cookie that comes with every order. The carnitas quesadilla was VERY good as were the black beans (they look gross but taste yummy!). The Jade Chicken however was kind of dried out and kind of tasted like Panda Express after it has sat around under the heat lamps for way to long.

The restaurant is not bad, and I think they do well with the Mexican food (hard to screw up) but the Chinese portion just didn't live up to the reputation that has been set for this place.

The service was good and the restaurant, not bad overall, but probably not somewhere that I would go out of the way for.
Chino Bandido
Pancho Panda
sylviandavid says:
thanks for the review.... I couldn't tell the sculpture was a panda but the paintings definately were... Ola or Ni Hao.... cute... sylvia
Posted on: Nov 15, 2009
Tamanawas says:
During the Aloha! Phoenix TB meetup weekend, Lola took me to this place. I thought it was great :) maybe because I had no expectations. The service was very nice and let us taste test. Somehow I missed the panda sculpture :(
Posted on: Nov 15, 2009
X_Drive X_Drive
Fun meal, good food Apr 11, 2008
Chino Bandido has been around since late 1990. Serving the wonderful combination of Mexican and Chinese dinners you have ever seen. It began as what they called “Takee-Outee” because of their small location and only room for a very few to sit and eat there. But when they realized that people would like to stay and eat and enjoy the fun atmosphere they began to enlarge.

This was the first time for me to experience the kind on meal they serve. Amanda helped me order Terriyaki Chicken & Egg Foo Young with rice and beans. It is served in an aluminium tray that you could add a flat cardboard top on for taking home, along with plastic utensils and the drinks were served in foam cups.

I enjoyed my meal and then we just threw everything in the trash container, easy as that. No dishwashers here.

The prices were pretty low and the selection was big enough to please just about everyone. It’s not a place to take a first date or to impress someone, but a fun meal with good food.

Another cute thing about this place is Pancho Panda. He is a solid chunk of black granite that comes from China. It was sculpted into shape in China and shipped here to Phoenix where the owners had to remove the wall to put it inside. Then the wall had to be replaced. Kids love to pat or rub him for luck. I did too.
Exterior of their old location. (W…
The menu on the wall with pictures.
My dinner
Another dinner at our table.
rotorhead85 says:
With a name like Takee-Outee, it's gotta be good!
Posted on: May 31, 2008
vances says:
I forgot to mention this Chinese food was so awful that it dis-oriented me! :^)

Hope that makes it all better, Roger, lol.
Posted on: May 28, 2008
vances says:
Had to laugh when I saw Takee-Outee...this was (or perhaps still is) the name of a string of fast food carts in the French Quarter of NOLA featuring really bad fried Chinese. Of course it was really cheap too and I survived on this fare as a poor college student at Mardi Gras in 1983....
Posted on: May 28, 2008
Amanda Amanda
Apr 10, 2007
Ohhhhhhh......heaven on a plate, thine name is Chino Bandido. This long time Phoenix landmark to those in the know is the greatest invention known to man!!

A true hole in the wall, do not be frightened upon approach - yes, it is old, and nothing pretty to look at. Yes, the inside is really NO BETTER - that is the joy and charm that is Chino Bandido.

They have managed to mix Chinese, Mexican, and Caribbean food into one item here. It's a mix and match free for all, complements of many options they give you - to start, you have your meats/main courses:

1. CARNITAS: Mild, slow-cooked shredded pork sautéed with onion, tomato and cilantro

2. CHILE RELLENO: Fresh Anaheim Chile stuffed with two kinds of cheese, crispy breaded exterior

3. CHINESE BAR-B-Q PORK: Sliced, sweet roast pork

4. EGG FOO YUNG: Fresh egg ommelet with bean sprouts, white and green onions, green peas and bar-b-q pork. (Vegetarian also available) Served with creamy mushroom-chicken gravy.

5. GRINGO CHICKEN: Grilled chicken breast with chopped tomatoes, green onions in a butter-garlic sauce

6. HENGRENADE CHICKEN: Grilled, skinless chicken with smoky, spicy flavor, milder than Jerk Chicken.

7. JADE RED CHICKEN: Lightly coated, deep-fried chicken glazed with slightly spicy sweet sauce. Different and habit-forming.

8. JENRED PORK: Lightly coated, deep-fried pork glazed with slightly spicy sweet sauce

9. JERK CHICKEN: Grilled, skinless chicken that has been marinated with seasonings and some of the hottest peppers in the world. Spicy peppers, but with no after-effects!

10. EMERALD CHICKEN: Tender grilled, skinless chicken breast served with fresh ginger/green onion sauce. For the tenderfoot or the old master.

11. TERIYAKI CHICKEN: Grilled, skinless chicken breast basted with our own teriyaki sauce.

12. VEGGIES: Fresh lettuce, tomatoes, onions, broccoli, with minced serrano peppers and grated cheese on top

13. POLLO DIABLO: Lightly coated, deep-fried chicken with garlic, onions, and red hot peppers. NOT for the tenderfoot. If you’re from Iowa, you probably can’t handle it!

14. MACHACA: Shredded beef with garlic, onion, tomato and cilantro.

Then, you have your choice of Rices and Beans (They also have plain white rice, although not listed here) -

CUBAN BLACK BEANS: Spicy refried-style black beans made with olive oil.

REFRIED BEANS: Mild refried-style pinto beans made with vegetable shortening.

PLAIN FRIED RICE: Chinese-style fried rice with green onions and seasonings.

PORK FRIED RICE: Chinese-style fried rice with chopped bar-b-q pork, green onions and seasonings.

CHICKEN FRIED RICE: Chinese-style fried rice with chopped chicken breast, green onions and seasonings.

JERK FRIED RICE: Chinese-style fried rice with chopped jerk chicken and green onions.

Sooo.... now the fun starts!!! Which of the meats/main courses do you want? How many of them? 1 of them? 2? Do you want them combined with rice, beans, or both? And WHICH rice? WHICH beans? How do you want them combined? Everything in a big rice bowl? How about as a burrito? Should they add cheese to that? Or should they create a Quesadilla out of the fillings? How about a big combo plate with steamed rice?

Flustered yet??

Well, don't panic - because prior to ordering, they allow you to try all the different foods as samples - so you at least get a feel for what you're dealing with. My personal favorite? Emerald Chicken (Chinese) and Jerk fried rice (Caribbean) BOTH INSIDE a bean and cheese burrito (Mexican) HOLY COW - is this yummy!!!!!! Then add both the Mexican and Caribbean sauces on the side.... and you are at heaven's gate.

If I had one meal left on earth, YES - it would be at Chino Bandido.

AND - every meal comes with a free snickerdoodle :-)

Call me when you're ready to go - I'll TOTALLY meet you there!!!
fredleal says:
i'm so going for the pollo diablo!
Posted on: Apr 20, 2007
fredleal says:
i can easily see why such a sunny disposition to go back. the menu sounds delicious from top to bottom!
Posted on: Apr 19, 2007
Eric says:
Wow, 8 smiles. I think that's a record for a review ;)
Posted on: Apr 12, 2007