Chinese women speaking English in Tiananmen square

Beijing, China
Chinese women speaking English in Tiananmen square - Can someone say communism does not work?
Chinese women speaking English in Tiananmen square - Panoramic shot

Chinese women speaking English in Tiananmen square Beijing Reviews

drmorrisj drmorrisj
Watch out for the chinese women Oct 13, 2012
I was in Beijing back in August of 2011. I was hanging out taking pictures in tiananmen square, when all of a sudden two women came up to me and said, "hello." Initially I was stunned that these women would just walk right up to me and strike up a conversation. After 5 minutes of chit-chat they asked me if I wanted to get some "tea." I thought, "hmm, that's friendly." I replied that I did not want any tea, but that I was hungry so I asked them if they wanted to come to dinner with me. When we arrived at the restaurant they started ordering many items on the menu. After I informed them that I only had enough money for myself, they promptly got up and left the restaurant. I thought it was so funny. I was not bothered, but when I got back to my room I talked with a friend of mine on the East Coast and he told me that kind of thing is very common in Beijing. My problem was that I was alone on the trip and wanted some company. I guess it is a good thing that I was upfront with them.
Can someone say communism does not…
Panoramic shot
drmorrisj says:
Simsing, I read the link you gave me. I had to laugh because each one of those happened to me while I was there. In fact, right after I checked into my hotel I was on my way to the Forbidden City when a cute girl started talking to me about how she was an art student who was travelling to the U.S. I followed her to an art store and then all of the sudden some guy is trying to pressure me into purchasing art that I did not care for (in the meantime the girl disappears into thin air). I politely left the store and went to see my #1 destination: Forbidden City! No money lost, no big deal.
drmorrisj says:
jen_yesoc, That is an interesting question. I had not thought about that. The one thing I would say is that I felt safe at all times. When I saw safe I mean I never felt like someone was going to come up behind me in a Hutong and club me over the head for all of my money. And BTW I did walk around Hutongs' late at night after an expatriate American party. As I write this it is making me remember other things that happened. Like the guy who gave me a 5 minute bike ride and demanded 300 RMB! I balked and walked away. I was not going to give anyone 300 RMB for not taking me to my hotel.
drmorrisj says:
Simsing, I did not want to bore everyone with the details. After they got up and left (how funny was that?) I told the cook to cancel their food and only order mine. My food was ~$6US. That was all the money I had on me, because I was not going to walk around Beijing with hundreds of dollars (or yen) in my pocket. That would have been VERY stupid. It is bad enough I thought I could trust nice girls in Tianenmen square for an innocent meal in a public place. Honestly, I would probably repeat the process. It did not cost me anything. In fact, this has motivated me to write a review on the wonderful time that I had with a perfect stranger in Guatemala City in July 2012.

Check Beijing Hotel Deals