Chinese Breakfast

Anywhere you find it

Chinese Breakfast Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
The Search for Morning Sustenance Nov 30, 2014
I had some time over the span of a couple of weeks to observe the so-called "Search for Morning Sustenance in China". While many people eat breakfast at home, a fair number seem to eat out in the morning too. When a city wakes up and people step to the rhythm of the hustle and bustle, small restaurants across China fill up with hungry people looking for a hot meal to start their day. Most of the places you find breakfast fast and hot are small establishments with perhaps half a dozen tables, seating a total of 25 people at most perhaps. Generally, noodles & dumplings in a soup is popular, there is also steamed Baozi, which is very popular, and these are rather large tennis ball sized dumplings filled usually with pork, beef and vegetables. Rice porridge (congee) makes a good side often times and another dish like a lentil/red bean porridge is common to find also. There is also the super saturated deep fried bread sticks made of dough (you tiao) to go with your porridge.

That covers mostly what you will find at least in places like Beijing, Shanghai and Chengdu. Wherever you find it and whatever you have, it is generally freshly made, which you can sometimes observe the preparation of right there on the spot, and it is always steamy and hot. This is the best part of the Chinese breakfast experience for me. It's not the kind of food I normally eat as a westerner, but I found this steamy sensation in the morning to be something special. My advice, if I can offer it as such based on my experience, is to skip the hotel breakfast and seek one of the many small places offering up morning sustenance to the Chinese people on the go. Just follow the steam and look for people clustered in open air entrances - That's where you'll find it.

I offer up some photos from my experiences. They are basically all the photos I took during the mornings in my visit over a 2 week period to Shanghai, Xi'an and Chengdu. You will recognize some of the breakfast dishes I described here from the photos.
Steamy sustenance
Morning dining
Sampling of Chinese breakfast
Chinese Pepsi
spocklogic says:
Thanks, Walter - much appreciated!
Posted on: Jun 28, 2015
walterman9999 says:
Sorry I am late. Congradulations for your marrige with Tong; and I wish you both a long and happy life.
Posted on: Jun 28, 2015