Manila, Philippines

Chinatown Manila Reviews

nolan nolan
Cheap prices in a crowded area of Manila Nov 18, 2012
Chinatown, especially the areas near Juan Luna, Ongpin, T. Pinpin, Q. Paredes in Binondo is a combination of bargains as well as exotic food adventures.

To get to Binondo, one may drive from Makati going towards Roxas Boulevard, then on past Luneta and the Manila City hall, and further through either of Jones or MacArthur Bridges that span the Pasig River. Once you hit the bounds of the four streets I mentioned, the challenge of narrow streets and difficult-to-find parking begins. So one of the best ways to get to Chinatown and walk around is to take the LRT1 along Taft Avenue and get off at Carriedo Station, then walk westwards towards Escolta.

For those who want something fancy, they can try riding the calesas (horse drawn carriages) but be warned that the streets are littered with organic matter, courtesy of the horses pulling the calesas! So you must always watch your step otherwise you'll end up smelling worse that a corral on a wet day.

Chinatown in Manila is known for many items you won't find anywhere else in Manila like the traditional drugstores, eateries by the esteros (creeks), and dragon dances during Chinese New Year.

The food shops that people visit are those that sell mooncakes, dried fruits (all kinds), hopia (bean filled pastry). Some of the more popular such shops are Eng Bee Tin, Polland, Ho Land Bakery and Salazar.

Aside from food, there are other streets nearby that specialize in selling industrial items (tools, supplies), electronics, musical instruments, house fixtures, and so on.
cotton_foam says:
been to Ong Pin many times in my Manila days...i love the sugar cane juice there!
Posted on: Oct 14, 2013
silan silan
Manila's Chinatown Jan 06, 2009
Though it can be difficult to get to without a driver, exploring Chinatown can be a great afternoon experience. We headed here to seek food and to wander the streets a little see what Chinatown in the Philippine was like (being from Vancouver and San Francisco we had pretty significant Chinatown's of our own to compare it to!).

The streets can be narrow and confusing but there are sights and sounds in every direction to experience. Stalls line narrow lanes and alleys, and curious fruits and, my personal favourite, soup-in-a-bag's are stacked in stand after stand.

Try your hand at an unknown food of your choice and let yourself get lost, and find your way out! We stopped briefly at a small restaurant to have lumpia and a Coke - a rough $0.40

Related Travel Blogs About Chinatown

Chinatown At Last
In all the countries that I visited so far, I would most likely to visit their Chinatown. However, Ironically I'd never been to the Chinatown of Manila till now. So, my friends decided to stroll…Chinatown of Manila till now. So, my friends decided to stroll somewhere on a Saturday, I suggested Binondo, and they…
the old spanish manila and dining at nihao china town! bwahaha!
today is a cultural day for me and ben. we decided to take a break from being cavemen and appreciate "whats left" of the cultural heritage of the capital of the philippines which is manila. we decide…manila chinatown is the oldest chinatown in the world! it was established in 1594 as the philippines and china had trade…
Manila mayhem
I start the morning to try to go to the Coconut Palace a nice little cottage which Imelda Marcos had built for the visit of the pope. The first cab I found to take me there said he did not know the a…Chinatown of Manila and it was only just a short walk across the river from the fortress. Hence I decided…

Check Manila Hotel Deals