Chinatown Express

746 6th Street Northwest, Washington, DC, USA

Chinatown Express Washington Reviews

vixen2306 vixen2306
Real Chinese food Jan 02, 2015
It is hard to believe that finding a restaurant in the neighbourhood of the White House might be a bit of a challenge.

One evening, just after we have finished the first round of visits to the museums, we were faced with nothing less but that exact dilemma.

Meandering through neighbourhood streets we were perusing for a restaurant till we came across Chinatown Express.

The outside appearance wasn’t too distinct or outstanding in any way. What caught our attention was the small queue stretching out onto the pavement. Most of the people were of Asian origin which could have been only a good sign.

Besides having a quick look at the menu displayed outside, we had a peek inside to evaluate the food visible on the cooking counter. Everything looked delightful so we joined the queue.

Despite the appearances, we did not wait that long to get a table inside. The waiting time we spent studying the menu to order promptly when seated.

The décor of this place resembles more of a diner, or a fast food restaurant, than an actual restaurant. Do not let this discourage you from stepping into this establishment.

Our food of choice was beef with broccoli and jumbo shrimp with vegetables. There was plenty of rice to share, and of course, green tea.

The food was indeed worth the wait. It was fresh with delectable flavours and portions were just right.

One of the promises of this restaurant is fare pricing. And considering the quality of food combined with a good location, they do not come up short on this promise (total paid on our meal - $33).

Chinatown Express gets thumbs up in terms of Chinese food.
Copy of an article about the resta…
Food display
christine601 christin…
Go for the noodles Jul 12, 2011
I liked this place because this restaurant sort of has this industrial, yet oriental feel to it, and plus the chefs give you quite a show when they spin their own fresh noodles right in front of your eyes. There is a glass window right in front of the restaurant where they do it, and you can't help to stop in the middle of the street and go "mmm yummy, I am gonna go in and try some of those!"

First time I went, I tried the noodles and they were great! they give you a big plate of them and they taste very savory. Plus its cheap too! Very affordable pricing.

However, I came back with a friend and we decided to order a few other dishes and they were just a bit gross. I would say, definitly if your a Chinese noodle lover, come to this place and have some noodles!
jeffludvik jeffludv…
Jan 23, 2008
On a cold Monday afternoon, my friend and I were in need of some hot soup and decided to go check out China Town Express. This restaurant had all sorts of awards posted outside praising how excellent it was. I ordered the soup special with beef and my friend ordered won ton soup. When the soup arrived it was lukewarm, at best. Very disappointing! I like my soup hot. The flavor of my beef noodle soup was very bland. It reminded me simply of lukewarm water with a hint of beef flavoring. Even the appetizer, leek with pork dumplings, was not even close to hot. You wouldn't believe people didn't like the food considering the pack of people crowded around the entrance and all the tables filled up. But I just didn't find anything special about it. I wouldn't mind paying 3 more dollars to get tasty, hot food.

Check Washington Hotel Deals