China travel budget

China travel budget Reviews

Biedjee Biedjee
China travel budget Jun 19, 2011
Country: China (excluding Tibet)

Period visited: 2010 - 25 nights

Budget per day: 45 Euro

Actual per day: 47 Euro

Why so cheap/expensive?

Accommodation, food and beer are all very cheap, with Chinese hostels being the best value of all the countries I travelled through. I spent two nights splurging on a very luxury hotel (very well worth it). Had I not done that I would have ended well within my budget. Entrance fees to National Parks can be very expensive though, sometimes up to 30 euros for a day.

Furthermore the country is huge, so transport will be a huge part of your budget.

Can it be cheaper?

Yes, if you stay in dorms and only travel by bus or hard-seat train, you could survive on 30-35 Euros per day. Cheaper if you stick to a limited area.

Average costs:

Food & Drinks:

Beer: less than €1 for 0.6 litres

Espresso: €1 (oddly enough Starbuck's is the cheapest place for a decent espresso)

Meal: €1 - €5

Dorm: €2 - €10

Room in hostel: €5 - €15

5-star hotel: €20 - €50
Biedjee says:
Hi Sylvia,
The pampering happened in Chongching - you can see my review for the hotel I stayed at, the Somerset, possibly the best value luxury place I ever stayed in.
I do indeed keep track of my expenses while travelling. For my long trip I had a strict budget, so it was necessary to do so.
Cheers, Bart
Posted on: Apr 16, 2012
sylviandavid says:
Always nice to go to a nice hotel and be pampered a bit. We ended our 6 weeks in Greece with a nice place by Cape Sounion.... so nice! The other places were OK but it was just wonderful to be somewhere with great dinners, beautiful room and a comfortable bed.
Now I need to check your other reviews and see where you found the five star.... I don't have ours written up... hopefully you are better than I am!!!
You really are excellent at staying within a budget at 1250 Euros for 25 days.... Do you have a notebook and track daily? ... (sorry for all the questions)
~ hugs ~ Sylvia