China World Hotel Beijing

Check Beijing Hotel Deals

China World Hotel Beijing Reviews

gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Great room, good location but some communication issues May 20, 2012
I stayed at China World Hotel in Beijing in May 2012 for a few days. I booked the room online on a Norwegian travel agent and I chose the hotel as the location seemed pretty good, I got a good rate and I am a Golden Circle member and like staying at Shangri-La/Traders hotels. I travel a bit for work and pleasure and I have stayed at various 4 and 5 star hotels around the world just to give you an idea about the background for this review.

I took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and it was about 140 Yuan. The hotel has a great lobby as you often see at Shangri-La hotels and with what seems to be the typical Shangri-La scent  When I tried to check in I was informed that as I had a club room (or Horizon room) I would be checked in at the Horizon lounge on level 20. Check in was fast and I got room 1844 located at the very end of the hall on level 18. The only thing that I found a bit strange with the reception at the hotel was that no one came to take my suitcase. Normally at 5 star Asian hotels the suitcase it brought to your room so that you don’t have to drag it around while checking in.

The room was larger than expected when I walked in. The curved hallway leads to the room itself and it had yellowish/cream color carpet while the walls were in neutral colors. To start with there was a wardrobe in dark wood with a number of hangers. It also included a couple of robes and slippers together with an iron and ironing board. There were also a number of drawers and a mini safe.

The bathroom was to the left after the entrance and it was very well laid out with a combination of white marble tiles and beige wall paper. There were both a bathtub and a great, large proper shower corner – excellent. Shangri-La also knows their amenities and here you will find everything that you need…shampoo, shower gel etc but also toothbrush, shave kit etc.

The room itself was quite large with a huge king-size bed. The bed was a bit too firm for my liking but it was still comfortable. And it came with a proper duvet and 4 huge pillows. There was a bench to put the suitcase on but I had to look around to finally discover that this bench also included a drawer with the laundry bag. Apart from that there was a TV bench which included the mini bar and amenities related to that and also a work desk with a chair. There was also a chair with a small table by the window and it provided a pretty good view of the city looking south.

Breakfast was served at the 20th floor in the Horizon lounge and it provided more or less the same view as from the room. The lounge seemed to be a bit small so there was also a section on the 19th floor. The breakfast was great for me…it included some granola, fresh bananas, a great red berry smoothie and fruit. But there were also eggs to order, bread etc but if you want a huge selection you should go to the main breakfast restaurant on the lobby level.

Location of the hotel is not bad at all. It is right by the Guamao metro station and metro line 1 will take you straight to the Forbidden Palace and Tianamen square. The hotel is also linked to the huge China World complex which includes three other Shangri-La hotels and a large mall with lots of well known brands including Louis Vuitton etc. But traffic is bad around the hotel so taking a taxi around town can take some time depending on what time of the day you go of course.

So what was not that great about the hotel? Being at room 1844 I was at the very end of the hallway and hence the wifi was pretty weak. That created a bit of frustration but I also had the option of plugging directly into the wall to get broadband. And thank you Shangri-La for understanding that internet is important these days and it should be free of charge!

Communicating with hotel staff was a bit of a challenge. The main hotel staff all knew English of course but it was still a bit tricky to talk to them to ask them about stuff. I had a long conversation with the laundry department to ask when my shirts would be ready pressed and I had a hard time explaining that I had already handed in my shirts and I was just wondering when they would be done. But all in all the staff is great and did our best to help us out whenever we requested any help.

But apart from that…Shangri-La China World Hotel was a great hotel. The staff was great, the room was very nice and the location is quite good for sightseeing the main attractions of Beijing. There are restaurants nearby (including Aria in the hotel itself) that are great but do note that they are pretty upscale (like Grill on 79 (Summit Wing), China Grill (Park Hyatt) etc. But I would not mind staying at this place again if I had the chance.
Huge bed
Chair and a view
View from my room
TV and desk
easyjobrob easyjobr…
Oct 17, 2007
The China World Hotel is the epitome of a fine international hotel. As you sweep up the majestic drive to the front lobby you are greeted by smiling and helpful staff. Your luggage is courteously taken from you and you enter a world that is light, airy and clearly designed with the guest in mind.

There is no queue to check in - a wide range of desks - fully staffed - awaits.

Check in was seamless - my reservation was found with no problems, my request for a non-smoking room noted and even the fact that I was a return visitor to a Shangri-La hotel noted.

Check in took just 2 minutes - a record at a Chinese hotel.

Having been shown to my room - room keys are needed to operate the elevators - I was very pleased to see no evidence that my non-smoking room was anything but a non-smoking room (see previous reviews: http://www.travbuddy.com/Jiangou-Hotel-Beijing-v11701 and http://www.travbuddy.com/Ramada-Hong-Kong-Hotel-v11457 ). Indeed the room is spacious, light, clean and very easy to feel at home in. My view is to the rear of the hotel but it is panoramic and delightful.

Energy Efficient bulbs are in evidence through-out the hotel and a clear management effort to reduce the effects on the environment are everywhere.

The location is very good. Easy walking distance to the Silk Market for those looking for a good bargain, the main sites such as Tianammen Square and the Forbidden City just a short taxi ride (approx 3 GBP).

I very much look forward to seeing more of this hotel and it's services as my stay progresses but first impressions are of one of the very best hotels I have stayed in - a perfect base to enjoy the olympic games - albeit not at a backpackers budget!

Safe travels

Rob
Clean, spacious and delightful
Smart and user friendly
Bath rooms are clean and well appo…
MsBahamas says:
Thanks for adding a photo of the bathroom....This is always a moajor concern of mine....
Posted on: Jun 26, 2010
Sunflower300 says:
This sounds more like it. :)
Posted on: Oct 17, 2007

China World Hotel Beijing Overview

Connected to the China World Trade Center, the China World Hotel Beijing sits within the business and diplomatic district of the central city. It is also 1 km to the Silk Market and 8 km to the Forbidden City. Guo Mao Station is the closest transit connection to the China World Hotel Beijing, and an airport butler service is offered to guests for a fee.

There are 716 rooms available at the China World Hotel Beijing. Rooms have high speed Internet access, cable television on flat screen displays, mini bars, safe boxes, direct dial telephones, and en suite bathrooms with hair dryers.

An upscale business and conference property, the China World Hotel Beijing has multiple on site restaurants offering Japanese, European, International, and local cuisines. Conference space on site can accommodate up to 2,000 participants in customizable rooms. Free broadband Internet access is available throughout the property. For relaxation, there is a gym, a sauna, an oxygen room, an indoor heated swimming pool, sports courts for squash and tennis, and a Jacuzzi. The lobby lounge also hosts live music nightly in the classical style.

China World Hotel Amenities

• Massage
  • Solarium
  • Steam Bath
  • Beauty Salon
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes
  • Bus Parking
  • Paid Parking

Related Travel Blogs About China World Hotel Beijing

China's Capital
Peering through the smog with the help of morning light, I found myself greatly disappointed with Beijing.  I had arrived the night before in time to check into my hotel,  The Great Wal…Beijing.  The Kempinski Hotel , China World , and Kerry Centre all tout the luxuries of the Western world.  You can find…
First day exploring Beijing
Arrived last night to the Wangfujing Grand Hotel.  It's really convenient.  Close to China World shopping area and the Forbidden city.  This is my second time in Beijing so I'll probab…Hotel.  It's really convenient.  Close to China World shopping area and the Forbidden city.  This is my second time in Beijing

Check Beijing Hotel Deals