Chicago, Illinois

Chicago Reviews

kami_lynn kami_lynn
Windy City Nov 28, 2008
So … it was windy. Who would have thought? Even with all my layered sweaters (because I am too cheap to buy a good coat), I was still pretty cold the entire time. I was impressed by how huge Chicago was. That is the biggest city I have been to so far, which means I still need to get to New York City. There are a ton of things to do and see, but choose wisely, because money runs out quick there.

The aquarium is one area I think that is worth visiting. The Oceanarium was closed, which is supposed to be the best part by a long shot. So I was disappointed in that, but the tickets were cheaper and there was still plenty to see. The sea dragons and sea horses were probably my favorite with a close tie for the tropical aquarium with rays, sea turtles and several varieties of colorful fish. Actually, I forgot all about the SpongeBob SquarePants 4d special effects show. Not only is it 3d with the glasses, that will probably be inspiration for a high fashion style at some point, but you also get physical special effects. When SpongeBob’s Crabby Patty customer blows up in the end, his boils burst open gushing toward you and you are simultaneously sprayed in the face with water. There are also things in your chair that poke you in high speed pursuits and such. It might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but all I can say is I wish I could watch SpongeBob like that everyday.

Going up to the top of Sear’s tower was quite the view and was just $13. It would be a million times better if they had an outdoor deck area you could go to. It never really feels high at all to me unless I can feel the wind and look down without glass being an obstacle. After the Sear’s tower, I had some Chicago style deep dish pizza from Giordano’s. It was indeed tasty, but monitor how much you eat if your digestive system isn’t used to 5lbs of cheese a day. ;)

My favorite part of Chicago was a play I went to on Friday night at the Apollo Theater. It’s the story of when Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis got together for an impromptu recording session. Jerry Lee Lewis is by far the best (the guy that plays ‘Great Balls of Fire’ on the piano). He sounded better than the original to me, and that was with playing while on top of the piano and lying on his back on the bench. They were more energetic and talented than most concerts you pay a lot more to go see. I highly recommend it.

I also visited the art institute, but that is not really my area of expertise or enjoyment, so I won’t spend much time mentioning it. It is talked about as the next best art museum to New York, but I never ever see the big deal with art museums. However, if you do, it’s probably something you should see as it is at the top of the list for art institutes.

As far as night life goes, I didn’t go to any great clubs. I did go to the Redhead Piano Bar, which is supposed to be some what famous I guess. They commented that my sketcher shoes were not business casual, but decided to let me in anyway. It is quite the pretentious little place, and noone could play any good songs anyway. I lasted as long as it took to finish my small over priced drink. I definitely preferred the Irish pub on the corner of Michigan and Ontario.

The night before I left, I got the final icing on the cake for my trip. During the holidays, there is only one El train on each track that is decked out in Christmas decorations. So it’s pretty rare to catch it, but I caught it and it was so exciting! They even had an open air cart with Santa. It’s amazing how people who are so bored and robotic looking while waiting for the train are transformed into beaming energetic beings with smiles from ear to ear when the Christmas train rolls up. Yet some grinches try to prevent Christmas decorations in public settings … I won’t get into that now. The only sad part was I didn’t have my camera on me, but I got some pictures on my phone. You will just have to look at them sideways. That’s pretty much the highlights of my trip. Bring good walking shoes if you go!
Gold Coast
kre0123 says:
sounds like you had a good time! i wish i could have been there with ya!!
Posted on: Nov 30, 2008
vances says:
Do you have Jerry Lee's "London Sessions" album? It is quite possibly the greatest ever!
Posted on: Nov 28, 2008
raularanda2001 raularan…
Mar 03, 2007
Hey, You are visiting Chicago! The attractions are mostly in Downtown Chicago. You can visit The Magnificent Mile which is a famous Ave with lots of boutiques like Louis Vitton, Dior, Gucci, etc... You can visit Millnium Park, Lake Front, The Baha'i temple in Wilmette, Harpo Studios where the Oprah show is televised, Sears Tower ($9 Entrance fee), Water Tower Place, and finaly Buckingham Fountain. There are more things you can do in Chi-Town that I can't think of now but what I've mentioned should satisfy you. Oh and don't remember to eat a Chicago style hot dog and deep dish pizza.
Buckingham Fountain
djm0027 says:
Can't wait to come in a few weeks. I was only in Chicago once a few years ago and didn't get to spend too much time in the City as I stayed with a friend and her family in Des Plains
Posted on: Mar 05, 2007
WaltJake says:
Another nice place I like in Chicago is Navy Pier. They have carnival rides, an arboretum, plenty of stores and food places, a beer garden, and they usually have some type of art exhibet on display. You can wander around indoors or outside along the water, they even have boat or yacht tours you can take out onto the lake. Overall, it's a nice place to stroll around for a few hours. I also recommend the Skydeck at Sears Tower...great views of the city in all directions! You can find more pictures and details of these places in my summer 2006 national parks blog. Enjoy your trip!
Posted on: Mar 04, 2007
SmilingNorwegian says:
I agree with you- there is lots to do downtown. raularanda summed it nicely up! Have a nice trip!!
Posted on: Mar 04, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Chicago

My Chicago visit
Here's an account of my Chicago experience. I accompanied my husband on a official trip from Jan-June 2010.Chicago is called the "Windy city", so true to its name! The day we landed the temperature w…Chicago experience. I accompanied my husband on a official trip from Jan-June 2010. Chicago is called the "Windy…
Do They Still Play the Blues in Chicago?
  Chicago - Baby, Don’t You Want To Go   Chicago has had so many fabulous songs written about it. I’ve decided to include four of my favorites in this blog: two classics on this page…Chicago - Baby, Don’t You Want To Go   Chicago has had so many fabulous songs written about…
Chicago or bust
The final leg of my mini tour was Chicago to catch up with some relatives I hadn't seen for a couple of years. What an adventure it was to get there from San Jose. My flight was scheduled to leave Sa…Chicago at 1:10pm Chicago time, a flight time of just over 4 hours. So I got up at 5:30am…

Check Chicago Hotel Deals