Chez La Croix

Chez La Croix - The entrance

Chez La Croix Chesieres Reviews

Sweetski Sweetski
Dec 30, 2007
In the Swiss mountains, close to the French border, on the foot of the ‘col de la croix’, you’ll find a place called Chez La Croix. They describe it themselves as a Restaurant Pizzeria. Hardly ever does the word pizzeria mean any good, especially when combined with the title restaurant. Often, you find yourself in place that is overpriced, serves food that your microwave would reject and where service is never heard of, unless you count the staff’s ‘below zero treatment’.

Fortunately, there are some exceptions to that rule. Let me introduce you to the exception on that rule. It is never good to generalize, but in general, the Swiss aren’t known for their warmth or friendliness. They are a bit withdrawn. It was a big surprise to us therefore, to encounter the waiter with the biggest smile I’ve ever seen (on a Swiss face). He provided us with speedy and extremely friendly service. Besides that, we got great and honest food. Prices of food and drinks are very reasonable, the deco a bit kitsch, but at least they made an effort.

The menu shows many local and regional specialties like emincé de veau (sliced and diced veal in a curry like sauce), rösti (finely chipped potato, pan-fried like a Spanish tortilla) and cheese fondue (with the regional Gruyere cheese, of course). I felt like red meat that day, so I ordered a Filet de boeuff. It was excellent. Very succulent meat with a brown and almost crispy crust. The fries that came with it were to die for. The vegetables (cauliflower, carrots and string-beans) cooked to perfection, ever so slightly glazed.

If you ever find yourself in the Swiss Alps, near Les Diablerets, make sure you check it out.
The restaurant
The restaurant side view
The entrance
My placemat
Sweetski says:
Thanks Daniel, I hope you've enjoyed your meal :)
Posted on: Jan 19, 2008
danielrice20 says:
I really enjoyed your blog! The Chez La Croix review has left my stomach growling...
Posted on: Jan 18, 2008