Chez Josephine

414 W 42nd St # A, New York, NY, USA - (212) 594-1925

Chez Josephine New York Reviews

AshSunday AshSunday
Best meal I've had in NYC! Bon appétit! Dec 21, 2009
On this chilly Saturday night in Manhattan's Time Square district, my friends and I sought a nearby French restaurant that would accept casual diners and wouldn't break the bank. I called up my AmEx card's concierge and they recommended Chez Josephine. After a short walk we arrived at our destination and were promptly escorted to our table on the cozy second floor of this bi-storied bistro. On the first floor we passed interesting jazz-inspired artwork and were especially pleased to find two older women expertly providing spirited piano and jazz music.

Upstairs we were seated at a corner table and surrounded by mostly couples. The four of us shared two bottles of nicely priced McGuigan Shiraz ($32 per bottle), however there were a number of pricier options available and a full bar. Along with fresh bread, I started my meal with Steak Tartare (served with Quail Egg, Potatoes Gaufrette for $14.00). A modest and typically-French sized portion, the tartare was delicately flavored with herbs and citrus, and the meat combined with the fresh quail egg melted into the pallet with each fork. It was absolutely delicious and perfectly prepared.

For an entree I enjoyed the Calf’s Liver (pan seared, served with Whole Grain Mustard Sauce,

Wilted Spicy Greens, Potato Croquettes for $23.00). It was thinly sliced and lightly seared for a silky consistency that graciously allowed for the creamy flavors of the liver to be fully appreciated. It was, again, as perfect as I could have asked for.

Our friendly waiter, who had already happily offered to take several pictures of our group, noticed it was our friend's birthday and surprised all of us with a candlelit slice of chocolate cake. The best part of all was the the musicians downstairs (who could be heard at a comfortable volume throughout the restaurant) sang us happy birthday. I finished my meal with a B&B and the waitstaff did not blink an eye as we occupied the restaurant for quite some time finishing our conversations after eating.

All in all it was a great evening thanks to Chez Josephine. Located on Theater Row, it was a spectacular find with surprising last-minute availability and (for NYC) a reasonably priced selection.
Finishing up birthday dessert at C…
AshSunday says:
I've used them a few times for other restaurant reservations, a car service, and even once for help finding an optical store that would be open on Sunday. I've always found it to be a reliable service, but sometimes the options are a little on the pricey side so I'll look elsewhere if I can.
Posted on: Dec 21, 2009
David says:
Was this the first time you used the AmEx concierge? Are they usually spot on?
Posted on: Dec 21, 2009