Chestnut Street

McIntire Historic District - Chestnut St. Salem, Salem, MA, USA
Chestnut Street - Don't look at me, I don't know what I was thinking.
Chestnut Street - Street Sign
Chestnut Street - Sign we saw.
Chestnut Street - Loved the colonial look.
Chestnut Street - Loved the colonial look.
Chestnut Street - Blurry, but loved the ivy.

Chestnut Street Salem Reviews

amandalaren amandala…
Chestnut St = love Aug 14, 2012
Chestnut Street was on my places to visit when coming to Salem for the first time. I had heard about it on a website as something to see and it's free! The homes are absolutely GORGEOUS and they are quite large. The homes are all different in way of structure and color. A lot of the homes have plaques with the first family's name and the year it was built and in the Autumn, the trees out front make them absolutely picturesque. I wanted to tour all of them, but sadly, that was not allowed. I would die to live in one of these mansions, the history is astounding. My mom and I had a hard time finding it as we were staying a bit out of the city the opposite way, but we asked around and somehow found ourselves enraptured by the buildings. I took SO many pictures and fell in love by the time we were through.

Plan on having a clear memory card for your camera and very very comfy walking shoes and the street goes on for a while and the sidewalks are made of old bricks. It's neat because the tree roots push them up in certain areas so it's like a long wave. Wheelchairs and strollers may have difficulty and watch your step, but I will be going back to look dreamily over at these homes again one day.

Also, the Witch Museum is on a street corner in this area as well - so go tour it or check out the tiny gift shop :)

Silly me, I forgot to say why most of these homes are here. Because of the fishing and maritime history, a lot of the old fishermen would be gone for months on the sea doing just that - fishing. They would earn a lot of money on returns home and would build these huge homes for their wives to set up for them. What else to spend your money on, right?

Amanda - Michigan
Street Sign
Blurry, but loved the ivy.
Loved the colonial look.