Chester, the town

Chester, England

Chester, the town Reviews

joseph98 joseph98
Attractive Historical town Nov 10, 2013
With one foot in North Wales and the rest in England, the attractive town of Chester is very much worth a look if you're in the region.

Perhaps overshadowed a little by Liverpool and Manchester to the North, this town, formerly the largest Roman fortress in Britain, has enough attractions to detain the visitor for a day or two.

The oft photographed Eastgate clock is the iconic sight, but the surrounding town centre, where pretty streets are lined by the 'Rows', a unique series of two tiered arcades. These house many interesting and quirky independent shops, and like quite a few of the town's buildings, boast visually impressive mock Tudor and Victorian architecture.

The city walls surrounding the town's historic centre are easily accessed, and a walk around them gives you a real feel for the town. The River Dee runs through Chester, and a trip to the Groves, a riverside promenade near to the Bridgegate monument of the walls, is a picturesque treat, not least as it affords you the opportunity to hire a boat. The pretty Grosvenor Park nearby is also a pleasant diversion, and features a model railway.

Small enough to walk around on foot, and with a plethora of bars and restaurants (though they are admittedly somewhat pricey), Chester is a classic olde English town and a great place to get a sense of England's history.
Eastgate Clock
Chester Cathedral
joseph98 says:
Really? I'll have to look at that 2006 blog in a minute. I quite liked Liverpool, actually, but it's not somewhere I'd spend too long in. Manchester seems like just another city to me. Probably nice to live in, but not much for the visitor!
Posted on: Nov 10, 2013
Vikram says:
I do really love this city. Infact, I would say Chester was the highlight of my 2006 trip (you see my blog) as I stayed in Manchester for 3 nights, and found both Manchester and Liverpool uber boring!
Posted on: Nov 10, 2013
Nikita_victoria Nikita_v…
Chester city Mar 16, 2011
Town looks very beautiful and unique with its medieval buildings. There are numerous shops plenty of bars and 2 clubs: cruise and Rbs. Weekdays are mainly student nights and cheap. Things to do include visiting Chester zoo, Roman wall walks, and canal rides and chester races. For shopping there is Cheshire Oaks, an amazing outlet center. Liverpool and Manchester are also easily reachable.
X_Drive X_Drive
The City of Chester Jun 08, 2005
Another of the stops on our tour was the town of Chester. This completely walled city built originally by the Romans around 2000 years ago has continued to thrive while changing to a very picturesque and bustling area. One of the most famous things here is the architecture which features two-tiered rows. And the shopping area here has become a high end marvel of designer shops.

Our tour began at the Cathedral and proceeded around through the shops and up over the bridge where the towns beautiful clock is there for all to see. We had a few minutes to look around and then it was back on the bus and on to our next destination. Certainly not enough time to make much of an educated judgment. We had time for pictures, shopping, a bite to eat, and not much else.
missandrea81 says:
What a gorgeous little town!
Posted on: Nov 11, 2013

Related Travel Blogs About Chester, the town

21st Birthday UK Adventure
London The first part of the trip I spent 3 days, 2 nights in London at St. Paul's hostel on Carter Lane. I DO NOT recommend this hostel, it was hard to find and the location wasn't very nice either…town. Chester is the cutest little town I have seen yet though. I loved it, it's definitely a picturesque…
The walled city of Chester
I hadn't even heard of this place. This was one more of TripAdvisor Forums' recommendations. They all suggested that if I were going to Manchester, it's only fair I visit this place. Thankfully my Fr…Chester, saw the Town Crier building and thought of LeeB -she'd told me about the existence of a Town
Jamaica 2008
Another great trip to Jamaica under my belt. This time Wolf and I brought along two of our greatest friends, Jodi and Dorothy. We all stayed at Hedonism 3 near Ocho Rios Jamaica. The resort needs to …towns like Chester, get some information from your driver about the people living there, to the top of a mountain…

Check Chester Hotel Deals