Chester Cathedral

Chester, England

Chester Cathedral Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Chester Cathedral Apr 25, 2010
Chester Cathedral is a lovely cathedral in the North West of England. Like Gloucester, it has intact cloisters. The cathedral itself is made of red sandstone, which is really pretty.

It appears to charge quite a high admission fee, but when I went, there was no honesty box and no one at the door, so I went in free. Disabled access would probably be fine to the main part of the cathedral, but not some of the chantries or the ecclesiastical courtroom.

Chester cathedral was founded to honour a saint I can neither spell nor pronounce – sometime soon I will look her up on Wikipedia for you. The cathedral has lovely cloisters and some beautiful gardens. Sadly, the peace garden in the centre of the cloister was locked the day I went, which would seem to defeat the point. The architecture is very nice, but the highlight for me was the wood carvings in the choir stall. There were lots of very playful carvings, including one that appeared to be a man with his head inside a dragon. I didn’t take photos for you, I’m afraid, so you’ll just have to look for it yourself.

Another interesting thing about the cathedral is the ecclesiastical court room in the back of the cathedral, which is one of the only ones to survive the reformation.

Personally, I think this cathedral is worth a visit if you can get in free or if there is a special event, but I am unconvinced that it is interesting enough for the £5 they looked like they charged – it isn’t as impressive artistically or as beautiful as some of the others I’ve been to. It also has an alarming number of signs telling you not to do things – don’t touch, don’t go in this bit… it’s sort of nagging.

If you are only going to visit one historic church in Chester, I would go to St John’s near the amphitheatre. But it is nice.

Related Travel Blogs About Chester Cathedral

Chester Day trip from Liverpool
Chester, UK After my last trip to Liverpool I was eger to see some of the surrounding areas. I had been recomended by a friend to go to Chester. It was a great peice of advice! Chester is a city in…Chester Cathedral, the canal system, Chester Racecourse(Which if you are as lucky as I, can veiw the races…

Check Chester Hotel Deals